octopod woes

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

octopod woes

Post by tim »

Well, here we are again. The MOT looms and the garage has advised me that any LHM leakage is a failure so I spent today trying to get at the octopus. Jeez what a waste of time. I couldn't get the driveshaft out as I couldn't separate the lower arm from the hub (following Haynes) as my joint splitter wouldn't fit into the incredibly tight space around theball joint. Tried everything including heat, bolsters and violence. Some people apparently do this job without removing the driveshaft - er, how??? Even with the use of ramps, two lights and reams of tissue I can't see anything much except a few pipes disappearing into a black mess. How do you experts do it - by feel? I was hoping to find the elusive animal, and either repair one leaking pipe (as suggested on several threads) or carefully mark up the various pipes, remove them and then fit a new octopussy. But I can't see anything! Is the thing bolted in? And if I undo the bolt, can it then be tugged out so that the pipes can be got at? I frankly can't see how to do the job with the pod in its present location. The thread which suggested relocating the little darling on the bulkhead sounds brilliant, but as beginner I would not want to just bypass the old octo without having handled it first to make sure I'd got the correct pipes going to the right places. Rain all tomorrow, so Thursday is the last chance to get something done. Over to you! (One day I'll look back on this and laugh).
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Re the bottom balljoint...

I've NEVER used (nor needed) a splitter, wind the nut right off then twiddle it back on loosely with your fingers. Then (assuming the car is supported securely) put the suspension on the lowest setting which will suck the strut up putting massive "pulling" tension on the joint. Then one decent twat upward on the bottom nut with the side of a lump hammer and they seperate.

Jobbed.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Hopefully not thread-jacking, but I need to do an octopus next week on mine.. If anyone can give some more advice (or point me in the right direction) I'd be very grateful.

I've heard a little about relocation the octopus a la 4x4 - is this the same as the bulkhead repositioning, and if so what do I need to know.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

When I replaced my octopuss I did not remove the driveshaft.

I got a copy of the pipework (Japanese site) and marked up the old hoses so I knew which came from where.

Then I cut the legs off, one leg at a time and replaced it with the new pipe.

I extended the pipes that went to the rear of the car to make fitting easier.

I have a pit in the garage which helped, but it still was a horrid job.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

When I replaced this nightmare pipe set I did not remove the driveshaft either and using that japanese site with the well laid out pipe plan and doing as mikeE did it was not to bad a job. Even though I only had axle stands.

One pipe did cause me an issue and that was a front to rear pipe. By the time I got to it I found I did not have enough pipe to join. Luckly its just a clear pipe joining so a bit ingenuity was needed i.e longer pipe.

Yes lots of swearing and cursing involved, stiff neck and back by the end of the day but it was doable. First one I ever did and was erm easier than I thought...cough...
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

can anyone point me to this japanese site with the diagram please
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Funny enough the link has been posted on this very forum :wink:

As it is I have not gone looking for it for you because I got a printed hard copy in my manual.

Have a search it will turn up I am sure.

Sorry no help that though.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I posted pics of the return piping from the Citroen manual on this thread, you'll nee to scroll down a fair bit. Gibbo.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ht=#135697
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks Gents :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I did remove the driveshaft which made it a much easier proposition than the one I was faced with with it in situ (which didn't look like fun)! I think you'll find the half hour spent removing it well worthwhile!

I also extended the rear pipes, however, I did it by supergluing short pieces of the hard plastic pipe into the respective joints on the octopus (on the bench) then using a short piece of the old rubber hose to connect that to the existing plastic pipe further back on the subframe thus making the joint accessible and preventing the pipes from popping out of the octopus (where you can't get to them for love nor money).

I also rerouted the returns behind the doseur and the strut back to the tank instead of through the plastic sheathbetween the engine & the wing.

Pull one pipe down, post one back up, it's quite easy once you've got the plan of where the pipes go...
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

pods

Post by tim »

Thanks for all of that - a new pod is in the post as we write.My main query was the best way to actually get my hands on the octopod so I could actually visually check and note which pipes went where before dicing and splicing. Like I say, is it bolted in or does it just sit there? Thanks for the tip on busting the balljoint seal, I'll try it tomorrow.It may sound like I'm plodding a bit but I've never dealt with a hydraulic system like this before and I'd rather do it step by step than screw up! The only reason I'm trying to remove the driveshaft is that I'm hoping to then get actual sight of the octo if I can get me head in far enough!
Can anyone suggest a current supplier of hydraulic hose suitable for relocating the puss, also where hydraflush can be found - my local motor factor couldn't locate any.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Re: pods

Post by rayfenwick »

tim wrote:....I've never dealt with a hydraulic system like this before and I'd rather do it step by step than screw up!
My thoughts exactly. :oops:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

It's just held in place by cable ties (in my case).

Even with the driveshaft removed, the best access is from underneath in front of the rear of the subframe so try and get the front nice and high in the air (i sat the chassis rails on wheel ramps). With the shaft out access is actually pretty good underneath (just pray it's not raining)...

When you resecure the new one in place bear in mind the steering gaiter passes really closely so ensure nothing chaffes or gets caught up.

Edit: As for relocation, you should quite easily be able to reuse the old hose once inspected, mine hadn't deteriorated, just one split (the shortest one!) You'll need some 3mm-4mm poly pipe to connect it all. Though TBH i couldn't see any real point to relocating it as the last one had lasted 20 years i'll be amazed if I suvive another 20 let alone the car!!!