TU3 engine

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I found my little St Tropez now the property of Mr Stinkwheel went very well if driven spirited but was rather flat if you let the revs drop.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Kitch wrote:See that's making sweeping generalisations there....most of the guys on the AX forum aren't chavs! Likewise 50% of the Saxo forums. You'll have a handful of people who think the BX is cool, the rest might laugh at a 1.4 BX :p
Ha - you're right. of course :)
Kitch wrote:The economy should be pretty good, although my 14 was awful before I did the conversion but to be fair it was probably due to the way I drove.
Same as
Kitch wrote:And yeah, you do need the inlet manifold. It's water cooled too, so you will need the matching gasket. The AX GT inlet and carb are bigger than the stock BX one and with a good running engine you'll be keeping up with 16's easily, possibly even the Tizzydees! Dizzy speed, I know!
I've , eh, pursued a tizzydee in mine and I was only a teeny bit behind after about a mile - about 3 or 4 car lengths I suppose :) I know the other driver and he was driving a 'works' BX . From the amount of brown soot coming out of the back, I'd say he wasn't holding back!

I just want my car to run more sweetly. Any performance boost would be a bonus, but I don't like straining the engine too much. It's not an AX after all :)

Thanks for your advice - I'm sure this is the most sensible route to take.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Roverman wrote:I found my little St Tropez now the property of Mr Stinkwheel went very well if driven spirited but was rather flat if you let the revs drop.

Very true Tim, very true, its like a 2 stroke motorcycle, you have to keep it in the power band :) Also it helps the gears are quite short spaced (unfortunately they didnt make 5th long enough, so thats a pain)

Are we saying AX GT inlet and cam will improve the fuel economy Kitch?

I was thinking of just sticking some 16" wheels on it to improve the overall final drive. But that may look weird.

Ive had 2 AX GT's in my time, and they do go very well, so would expect that setup in a BX 14 very good indeed.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Is the GT gearbox the same final drive as the Bx? as im sure my GT would do well over the Ton no probs in fact my mates had XR2,s and it would leave them for dead.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I quite fancy "doing Up" a 14 Tu with all the boy racer goodies for the AxGT just to scare a few people at the traffic lights. Wonder what is possible to get out of one without it blowing up every 5 minutes?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Hi Richard - I guess it depends how far you want to go (and spend!) Lookee here: http://www.hiflowheads.co.uk/home/index.php
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Stinkwheel wrote:
Roverman wrote:I found my little St Tropez now the property of Mr Stinkwheel went very well if driven spirited but was rather flat if you let the revs drop.
?

I was thinking of just sticking some 16" wheels on it to improve the overall final drive. But that may look weird.

If you change to 16" wheels with lower profile tyres then the overall wheel/tyre height probably will stay the same OR be less so will have the opposit effect. The 165/70 tyres size is quite tall really, I went from 185/60R14 to 185/65R14 on the TZi as its very high revving but it had no effect.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Oooh you could spend a fortune! i know some lads put bike carbs on and they really go but i would imagine so does the fuel!.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I've seen some stuff about fitting bike Carbs - Honda 600 4 barrel jobby I seem to remember- but then I've seen stuff about fitting a turbo to a 2cv :wink:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good stuff! Don\'t worry about straining the engine...TU\'s are bomb proof and to be fair, the AX GT isn\'t exactly a highly strung unit! You\'ll put it under no extra strain, don\'t worry.

As regards economy, I think the condition of the engine/carb and it\'s state of tune will determine what sort of figures you achieve rather than which actual carb setup you have. I\'ve had AX GT\'s that will happily average 40mpg over a tank, but lets not forget they weigh little more than 700kg and are more aerodynamic than a BX.

Differences are the inlet/carb setup, the cam (very very very slightly more aggressive), the downpipe (AX GT\'s have a divider like BX GTi\'s, but this is not interchangable with BX) and the gear ratios and final drive (very short gearing in an AX GT....70mph: a touch under 4000rpm, but it makes a good sprinter).

Biggest difference is the body it\'s screwed into! But yep, if I had a 14TU I\'d definately look at doing the AX GT carb/inlet conversion and possibly a cam if you can find a known good one. They\'re not lumpy in the slightest, just allows it a little bit more breath above 4k rpm. But I wouldn\'t look at doing the gearbox, the standard one will do a better job for everyday use.

I did have an AX GT head kicking around with a cam in it, but I think it may be long gone in my last house move. I\'ll check next time I\'m out there.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any good?says its complete less coil and also has GT gearbox available?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

scarecrow wrote
" I've seen stuff about fitting a turbo to a 2cv"

yep and the last one i saw caute light and i belive burnt out,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

richardd1652 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any good?says its complete less coil and also has GT gearbox available?
Richard.
Very much so, although selling whatever\'s left over may not prove beneficial as apart from the gubbins we\'re after, the rest is boggo TU3 and not worth the proverbial. May not be the best value approach to it.

£95 is a bit sharp for just a carb and inlet, and that doesn\'t come with the trunking. I paid £20 for the last carb/inlet setup although it did need rejetting.

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Sorted! :D Carb off of ebay and inlet from the nice chaps at the AX club. Not quite such a bargain as yours though Kitch
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

scarecrow wrote:Sorted! :D Carb off of ebay and inlet from the nice chaps at the AX club. Not quite such a bargain as yours though Kitch
Good job! Mine did need a rebuild with it mind! Glad you got one sorted. It should be a plug and play installation IIRC but remember to buy the inlet gasket and carb base gasket for an AX GT. As far as the trunking goes, I just remember that early ZX 1.4 and 306 1.4 carb models did use the same part, so keep an eye out.

Or....buy a K&N bolt on pancake filter for the carb. Sucks in a bit of hot air but sounds like a 1970\'s boy racer Sunbeam Stiletto! If all else fails that is ;)