TU3 engine

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I was thinking about the KN filter route, but mine's already louder than I'd like it to be! I'm sure I've seen filter body kits that have ducting to draw in cold air.... Last resort, like you say.

I think I'll service the Carb if I can get a kit for it. I don't know the exact model of Weber yet, but I'm assuming a 32/34 - whatever that means :wink: It's off of an A1-running AX GT that was converted to bike Carbs, according to the seller.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Webber?? It should be a Solex 32/34! It\'s the size of the chokes.

The K&N\'s only make alot of noise under heavy load. With normal driving you wouldn\'t notice the difference unless you started thrapping it everywhere. Cold air feeds don\'t really work on these filters either; you\'re relying on air being blown up a corragated pipe at a filter in a hot area of the engine bay! The only way you really get a cold air feed to work effectively is with a sealed induction kit, which draws air directly from the mouth of the pipe. But those are on the MPFI cars obviously. Doesn\'t hurt to point a cold air feed at the filter though :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

One barrel is 32mm, and then when you open the throttle you get the 34mm barrel coming into operation as well. So you get the benefit of a smaller carb for low end performance, but a larger carb (effectively) for top end performance. On the 205 XS we had (same engine as the AX GT) you could notice a (small!) kick when the second barrel opened.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Ahhh - see, I know nothing!

This is the buggar:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3D1&_rdc=1
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well I got the Carb. today - seems okay if in need of a good clean/service. Once I can sort out a run about and the AX manifold arrives, the car shall go into the garage for a bit of alchemy.

Does anyone know if the AX GT gearbox differs from the BX 14 one?
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Oooo - nice Weber thingy :-) I think you've got a bargain there :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I'm quite excited, but have had to put it away to stop myself from taking it to bits instead of earning the money to pay someone who knows what they're doing to take it to bits for me :wink:

I think I should get before-and-after rolling road tests done so we can see the exact benefits :)
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I wound in the idle mixture adjust screw on my standard 14TU with solex yesterday, its made a bit of a difference to the better on the initial miss/lurch it always did, which is nice.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well. looks like the manifold I thought I'd bought has turned into a teenager making excuses!

Not sent the first week because he had a cold. Now it seems I have paid his mobile phone bill. Fucking hell. I shall revert to my prior stereotyping of the yoof - thanks very much. :twisted:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If he starts taking the piss name and shame him on there. They usually rip people a new arsehole for it. How long you wait is down to you though!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah - I guess that's what I'll have to do. What annoys me is I turned down a Carb and manifold deal from someone else because I didn't want to renege on my verbal agreement to buy this manifold. I got the Carb within a few days from that seller.

Trust, huh! I asked the seller for an address so I could pick up the manifold (or maybe try the Pony Express route) and I've heard nothing, yet. I'm not that bothered about £15, but it's the principle of the matter. I now realise that not all forums have the respectability and trust of the BXClub!

I think I'll just put this down to experience and look for another elsewhere. mumble, grumble

Edit: resolved eventually - got me money back.
Last edited by scarecrow on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

scarecrow wrote:Ahhh - see, I know nothing!

This is the buggar:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3D1&_rdc=1
Not sure what Weber that is, it's certainly not a DMTL. Does it have any ID markings anywhere?
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Last time I looked there was a blank shiny plate on the body, but Richard has said there should be a serial on a bottom flange. Next time I'm near it I'll look. :)