Bleeding a diesel...

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Bleeding a diesel...

Post by scarecrow »

I'm thinking of going to look at a diesel AX but the seller says there's air in the fuel system - they've seen air bubbles in a fuel line and clear it by using a manual pump on the fuel line. They have been told it's an easy fix that they haven't got round to having fixed :roll:

My question is: is it a simple job to bleed the buggar? And would someone be kind enough to explain the technique to me?

Thanks
Steve
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bleeding is the simple bit (undo a tap, and squeeze a rubber bulb or pump a button) but that's no use if you have an air leak somewhere!
Air leak could be fuel lines, fuel filter housing, injector pump etc...be cautious! As you are obviously thinking, if it was easy they would have done it before sale to get a decent price for it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It all sounds reasonable, when air gets in the fuel system it often is the fuel primer either the rubber bulb type or the filter head type and both very easy to fix as stated. If the car starts and runs OK after they have primed it manually I certainly wouldn't let it put you off if the rest of the car is ok. I've known several people manually prime their cars in the morning simply because they can't be bothered having them fixed when in reality spending 1/2 an hour fixing would be much quicker and easier than lifting the bonnet every morning.

I can get new Lucas or Bosch type filter heads for £10.95 + VAT and the rubber bulb type for £4.30 + VAT
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Okay - thanks for that.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Fair point Kevan, IF it is an easy fix then you may get a bargain - just that I've known people where it has taken ages to find the leak...
If you can squeeze the bulb/pump the button before buying to pressurise the system, and see if diesel leaks out anywhere that would normally be under suction, that will give you a clue as to whether it's an easy fix or not.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I've decided that as I'm a crap magnet I'll steer clear of this one :wink: