Front fog light wiring.

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Front fog light wiring.

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

Right, I have some fog lights. The problem is the wiring. I don't believe the car has any existing wiring, so I'm using the stuff that came with the lights.

The schematic looks fairly straight forward, except...

What I'm having trouble with is when in the instructions it says to connect a terminal on the relay to the sidelights circuit. How do I know which is the sidelights circuit, and where do I connect in to it? Not really sure why it need connecting to the sidelights, as it has its own switch?

Many thanks if anyone can give their thoughts

Martin
Last edited by Wooscary on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Can't help with the relay, but they'll be connected to the sidelight circuit so that they can only be used with the sidelights on, which I believe may be a legal requirement.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

/\ yeah that.
I took a live feed off the side light +ve wire at the switch and ran it down to the switch (OE) using that to switch the relay.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ok, so find the wires behind the switch, somewhere around the steering column? And just connect it up. Sounds plausible! :)

Also, when it says to connect the appropriate bit to the battery, is it ok to just stick the wire on to the + of the battery?

Cheers

(re-reading that it looks like I should really get someone who knows what they are doing to do this :))
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I'm no electrician, I usually let the smoke out of the wires, then it never works again, but I managed fog lights, so they must be easy.
Electrokid is the man here for electrolicalist things!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

docchevron wrote:Electrokid is the man here for electrolicalist things!
Wow, see the way I've ducked out of that? It's taken years of training, Brian. :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I would take the sidelight feed from a wire where it connects on the back of the headlamp unit.

Thats easier than running a new cable through the bulkhead and through the engine bay.

Then you only need one new wire from the foglamp switch to a relay, which can also be mounted near the headlamp in a waterproof bag.

Fit fuses too.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!