Headlight Protection

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Reason I initially asked was not because the light units are so easy to fit but more because of the inconvieniance of having to replace them to what has become a regular thing.

Sods law the moment I fit a new one it gets cracked or chipped the next trip out. Given the difficulty in getting parts and the fact is I am not a bottomless money pit a method of protecting seems to be a logical thing to do.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

kiwi wrote: Sods law the moment I fit a new one it gets cracked or chipped the next trip out.
Have you tried experimenting with "sticky backed plastic" over a good headlight? The thickness may give that bit of shock absorbtion from a "flying stone" to minimize the risk of damage.
I have used 3m "magic tape" intended for non reflective copying before for excluding water from a chipped lens and it was OK from a heat (& light) point of view.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

from the many bx's ive seen there seemed to have been two types of headlight protectors, ones that covered up both the headlight and the indicator, and ones that just covered the light itself.
Aren't the latter ones mentioned above for Mk1's, with the bigger ones for MK 2's???
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Way2go wrote:Have you tried experimenting with "sticky backed plastic" over a good headlight?
I already wrote:On another vehicle I've used a thick clear film (think sticky backed plastic!) which at least prevented the small chips.
Is there an echo in here? :wink: :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Way2go wrote:Have you tried experimenting with "sticky backed plastic" over a good headlight?
I already wrote:On another vehicle I've used a thick clear film (think sticky backed plastic!) which at least prevented the small chips.
Is there an echo in here? :wink: :lol:
I have given that some thought.

Only consideration I could think of against it is the enviroment here. The sunlight and UVs is a bit (a lot) stronger than in the UK. One the reasons I whinced when my wife got a red car.

I got an idea though now that may just work once I get the materials a bit of hot weather and creativity should get the result needed. Why hot weather? It will give the moulding some flexibility before setting :wink:
medwaycitroen
Confirmed BX'er

headlight protection

Post by medwaycitroen »

for years Ive wondered why there are two diferent types, and now it seems so obvious, one of those - of course moments!

thanks
remy