6v at fuel pump???

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Since you are getting a spark in air but the HT winding of the coil read O/C on the meter I suggest that there is a small gap in this winding or the internal connection to the winding. The small error in the resistance of the LT winding will be down to lead resistance or meter calibration at low ohms - but that's irelevent - you need a new coil.
I've been told of a theory however, which says that a spark plug mounted in the head attempting to spark under compression will have more trouble than one in the open,
As Mat said - much more than a theory. I had a mini with an 1100 engine but an 850 head - compression ratio 11.5:1 - it needed a 6v 'sport' coil run at 12v - only one make of suppressor cap would work without arcing from the plastic :shock: to the block - and only one make of spark plug would work - and both of those burnt out every 2000 miles and needed replacing. But that was the only way to set fire to the fuel.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Very interesting reading, but I think I have a solution that will work!

Buy a diseasel... :P

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Re: your backslash problem, I take it you've checked that your operating system is set up for a UK keyboard / UK time zone?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The backslash problem is because the forum is hosted on an O2 broadband connection, and it seems they block O2 to O2 traffic, something to do with subnets not being able to talk to one another.
As a result, anyone on O2 is blacked from the forum, unless they use a proxy server to fool O2 into thinking they are accessing from elsewhere. It's the p(r)oxy server that adds the backslash whenever ' is typed, and even using the word censor tool on the forum doesn't help...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

one case when good grammar is bad..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Ahh well, you get used to it after a while - like someone with a nervous tick, or a stammer.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ah, so it\'s O2 to O2 that\'s causing the issue? I wasn\'t aware of that! Someone fix it! The proxy server works well but the slashes are killing me!

Anyway, to the car. Borrowed a strobe. Hooked up to no1 lead, cranked over. I have a spark.
Hooked up to no2 lead, I have a spark...no wait, lots of sparks! WTF?? it\'s running! :o

So, for some reason it suddenly fired up, and the only thing I\'d done different was hook a strobe gun onto the HT lead! Now it\'s warm, it starts up again fine. But I bet tomorrow when cold again it won\'t. If it does, I\'m stuck....I don\'t know what is causing it! And if I don\'t know, I can\'t fix it, so it could suddenly die while out somewhere!

The saga continues!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

lots of sparks? How do you mean?
If it's going ape, I'd be suspecting the HT leads breaking down under HT maybe?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron wrote:lots of sparks? How do you mean?
I think the answer was
Kitch wrote:WTF?? it's running! :o
:wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I just read that link to the ' cough... 205 owners club' that you posted Kitch about the non-starting issues being starter or alternator related ( even though they appear to be functioning properly) due to possible electrical interferance f'ing with the sensors - that is fascinating. Even if no-one understands why it works!

Maybe someone should point Matt H towards that thread as he's changed everything 'logical' on his 16v and - as far as I know - it still isn't starting
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

If it does, I'm stuck....I don't know what is causing it! And if I don't know, I can't fix it, so it could suddenly die while out somewhere!
So you need to make it faulty again so you can find out what's causing it and fix it permanently...

Get it running then poke around the coil / diss / leads etc with a long insulated stick / move wiring about to see if it causes the problem.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote:The backslash problem is because the forum is hosted on an O2 broadband connection, and it seems they block O2 to O2 traffic, something to do with subnets not being able to talk to one another.
As a result, anyone on O2 is blacked from the forum, unless they use a proxy server to fool O2 into thinking they are accessing from elsewhere. It's the p(r)oxy server that adds the backslash whenever ' is typed, and even using the word censor tool on the forum doesn't help...
Perhaps of no interest to anyone, but this doesn't apply with o2 mobile dongles

''''''''''''' See?

I'll get my coat...
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk