Do I have a mystery carburettor?

BX Tech talk
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Do I have a mystery carburettor?

Post by Dickster665 »

Hello BX gurus. Thanks for all the replies to my previous post.

The reference tag on my 1985 Citroen BX19GT weber carburettor states model number 34DRTM14/100 is this a bona fide code?

A chap on e-bay is selling a genuine gasket kit for citroen carbs and states that they are becoming rare items, is this true? Should I enter a buying frenzy and buy now while stocks last?

My car has air conditioning fitted would this have any bearing on the carburettor fitted by Citroen?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dicky
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

My memory is a bit rusty on this but when I had a BX19GT it was fitted with a Solex which I replaced with a Weber carb and it actually improved performance, sorry no idea what model number that was.

In regards differant carbs for aircon models then that is a yes for what was originally fitted.

As for rarity well the cars are over 20 years old and sourcing parts becomes more of a game of hide and seek. Some things you need not worry about, gaskets being one as you can make them yourself in many cases.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

My UK spec non a/c BX GT has a solex carb, which looks the same as fitted to any 19 petrol carb fed BX, and similar to that of a 1.6.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Interestingly in my Pocket Mechanic BX Handbook by Peter Russek, I have found the carb you mentioned however I can not see any referance to what model BX it was fitted to.

I will scan off the page when I can and post it over the weekend for you.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Roverman wrote:My UK spec non a/c BX GT has a solex carb, which looks the same as fitted to any 19 petrol carb fed BX, and similar to that of a 1.6.
BX19GT solex carb also fitted to the 19TRS according to this guide I have.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yes this is the best factory fitted carb for your BX !

Citroën fitted Weber carbs when they were feeling kind and generous - and only Weber on the D2A engine with auto box and aircon. Most Webers fitted were 34DRTC 12or13or14or15/100 but later models had the 34DRTM 12or13or14or15/100. Some dealers fitted Webers replacing the Solex for 'good customers' prior to delivery of a new BX.

If the gasket set you're looking at is...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

then I'm looking at it too - not likely to buy it because - unlike you - you lucky feller - I don't have the carb yet :cry: and also because as far as I can see it's just the gasket set rather than the full recon kit.

The Haynes manual number 1784 covers servicing for this carb - now that I am bidding on :-)
My car has air conditioning fitted would this have any bearing on the carburettor fitted by Citroën?
Yes - that's one of the reasons you have a decent carb :-)
Some things you need not worry about, gaskets being one as you can make them yourself in many cases.
Yes - the gaskets are the simplest things to make - for carbs I either don't bother replacing or put a very thin film of silicone rubber over before re-fitting.

Welcome to BXClub Dicky :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thank you electrokid. I typed the carburettor reference number into google and came up with no direct results. It is good to know that it is correct.

Are all the jets, needles, etc. interchangeable between the two variants of the carbs that you mention or do I need to keep an eye out for a refurbishment kit that relates to the model fitted to my car alone?

Good luck with your carb search.

Cheers Dicky
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yes it seems to be a bit rare - I think you'll find more results if you type in just DRTM rather than 34DRTM. I think the DTRM is just a later version of the DTRC and the 14/100 and the other stuff after that is just the jetting fitted and depends only on the car it's meant for or for tuning etc. I have an excellent book on Weber carbs which I can't find at the mo but the Haynes manual on Webers I was bidding on is in the bag :-) so I'll find out more soon.

Generally the carbs will accept a range of jets and emulsion tubes selected for particular applications - but you shouldn't need to change them anyway - what usually goes are the diaphrams which are included in the refurb kits. I'll check the differences between the carbs - probably not a lot - as soon as the Haynes manual gets to me - I would guess that the refurb kits are the same but I'll be finding that out as well.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The carb for aircon-equipped petrol BXs is indeed a fairly unique model - though I think it was fitted to at least one similarly-equipped Peugeot with the 1.9 XU engine. Details that at least confirm its existence are out there somewhere on the net in an obscure place, but you will have to dig hard to find it.

I suspect it incorporates some kind of anti-stall mechanism.

When driving a turbodiesel BX with aircon (with extra torque over the XU9), it was possible to stall the car if starting from rest or at low speeds with aircon fully engaged (something I tried to avoid after a while).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

I found this carburettor refurbishment kit available to international sellers from ebay Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Weber-32-34-DRTC ... 2c4eb767fb

Could it be a useful aquisition for my 1985 BX19 GT?

Cheers
Dicky
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Now you added your location to your profile it kind of figures why you have a mystery Carbie :D

Theres a few things fitted to the Aus/NZ models that for some reason do not feature in any manuals and well finding out what they are for proves quite an interesting adventure.

Sounds odd but Japanses import BXs are differant again from the Aus/NZ spec marketed versions. Which basically are just european righthand drive models. :?

For example Japanese imports run on 91 octane where as lowest grade is 95 on the euro spec.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The Haynes carb manual has now arrived so at least I have pictures :-)

The DRT was fitted to some Renaults, the DRTC was fitted to some Citroëns and some Peugeots, and the DRTM was fitted to Citroëns and Renaults.

From the drawings the DRT and the DRTM appear to have the same body castings but the DRTC seems to be quite different - it would help if all the drawings, pictures, and isometric views were from the same direction for each carb - but they're not. There's probably no difference between the service kits for the DRT and the DRTM but some of the bits in the DRTC kit may not fit the DRTM - best to find a kit specifically for the DRTM though.

There's no anti-stall device as such - but it does have a COAS - Choke Opening After Starting device. I'm a little confused here - I'm used to the normal diaphram operated anti-stall system so I'm unlikely to get my head around this in detail until I have the beast stripped down on the bench. But logically it would appear that before starting the choke effect is too great and requires to be cut back as soon as the engine starts - it's logical that if the engine begins to stall (and engine vacuum reduces) that this device will increase the choke setting and enriching the mixture - much the same as an anti-stall device would do but not in such a violent fashion as the normal diaphram anti-stall system would do.

Of course - Uncle Haynes doesn't mention this :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

As we are talking about an Aussie BX you probably can throw the Haynes manual out the window regarding this.

Question for Dickster665 have you got a small coke can sized cylinder with three fuel pipes coming out of it connected near the carbie? Might not be relevant but useful to know because the UK spec BXs do not have this feature.
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks again for your replies chaps. If only customer service helplines were as efficient as the BX club forums the world would be a better place. Meanwhile, due to sickness I have been through all of the 89 pages of BX stuff available to me on Ebay in Australia. You would think there would be sufficient useful stuff there to keep your car going for 10 years, but no 90% is pure junk. Anyway, I think that I have found a carburettor refurbishment kit I need http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT What do you think?

Cheers

Dicky
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yep - that's the one - if you think you need to recon the carb then clean as much as you can without disturbing settings and just fit the replacement diaphrams because they are usually the first things to go. Then see if that fixes the problem. A good thing to have in the spares box just in case.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate