Octopus?

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Octopus?

Post by adamskibx »

Is the Octopus essentially all front end return pipes joined into one? The reason I ask is I think I will need to change it on my BX. The front strut returns need changing but are botched so that they dont leak using bits of plastic tube and hose clips (not my doing but I have done this before on a previos BX while I ordered new ones). The thing is the front subframe is dripping, and there a about 5 more of these botched fixes on the returns on the inside of the subframe.

I put the car up on ramps and starting re-botching the leaks and then putting the car on high then low and running out to have a look underneath as the car dropped. I have a feeling I have got the leak rate down from a litre of LHM a week to a litre every month, but I want to replace all these pipes. Is it the octupus I need, and if so, can it be done inside an afternoon?

Thanks,
Adam
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I once got the octopus fear and it just turned out to be a leaky return pipe up near the reservoir. The LHM was trickling all the way down the pipe to the octopus and dripping from there.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

three of the octapussy's 11 legs do run up the chassis rail and terminate at the tank,

the usual leak on the 11 legged octapussy is the short pipe/leg which conects to the front hight corector, the reason being its short length and it doubles back on itself very tight, then it perishes and splits, there is usualy enough to cut it back once but in doing this you almost certainly disturbe other pipes/legs of the pussy,

it is possible to fit one in an afternoon as i used to do them within two hour's

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I have had a go at botching my octopus as I do not know where I can buy a new one, and I have a feelin I am going to be fighting a loosing battle. Does anyone know where you can still buy these pipes from?

The problem I have is LHM pouring out of the subframe. I noticed that the return from the front nearside strut where it joins the inside union on the subframe was cracked and squirting out LHM as the car drops so I trimmed the bad rubber off the end and re-joined. This caused the pipe to pull off a small T-piece right on top of the subframe where the o/s front arm bush pivot is. Pulling on the little pipe caused the clear ones going to the back of the car to tug and only when the 4 cm long pipe puled off the T did I realise it was a T - junction, as the only way you can get at it is from the front and above the subframe. I managed to join a section on by heating some rubber pipe, very quickly insering it and letting it contract over the T-piece. There is no way of getting a clip on there as there is no room.

Do you have to lower the front subframe or jack up the engine with the lower mount removed to get at this easily?

I have got the consumable returns to do and it would be nice to make a good job of the octopus pipes too. The large (I think) octupus also needs doing as it is cracked where it joins the LHM tank, but again I have bithched this for now.

Thanks,

Adam
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

When you say large octopus I assume you actually mean the little one?
The large pipe off the LHM tank with a pair of smaller pipes attached?

Either way, it aint available anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

The large octopus (the one that sits on the subframe) is allegedly still available from Citroen, but, I ordered one several weeks back, was told at the time that there were non in the country but they could get one from France "in a couple of weeks". Thus far, more than a couple of weeks later, I still dont have it.

You dont have to drop the subframe, although removing the OS driveshaft does make life a little easier.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I may be missing something obvious here (it wouldn't be the first time) but can't these exotic rubber parts be fabricated in copper pipe?

The stuff's available in numerous sizes, can be soldered, bent, swaged and flared and it seems logical to my tiny mind that a copper octopus, for example, would be rather more long lived than an item designed and fabricated for ease of production and assembly line economics.

If I'm burbling like a burst sphincter here, then someone feel free to put me out of my misery - but it sounds vaguely feasible to my tiny Teutonic mind-ette. :? :?
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Linegeist wrote:I may be missing something obvious here (it wouldn't be the first time) but can't these exotic rubber parts be fabricated in copper pipe?

The stuff's available in numerous sizes, can be soldered, bent, swaged and flared and it seems logical to my tiny mind that a copper octopus, for example, would be rather more long lived than an item designed and fabricated for ease of production and assembly line economics.

If I'm burbling like a burst sphincter here, then someone feel free to put me out of my misery - but it sounds vaguely feasible to my tiny Teutonic mind-ette. :? :?
I'm sure it can, Bob. A mechanic told me about a chap who made one up and then gave it to Medway Citroen to fit.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

docchevron wrote:When you say large octopus I assume you actually mean the little one?
The large pipe off the LHM tank with a pair of smaller pipes attached?

Either way, it aint available anymore, and hasn't been for a long time...
Buggar, I was fingering Oscar's small octopus only yesterday marvelling at the incongruity of it. I didn't remember to take it, of course. :roll:
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

copper, plastic, quite a few options actually.
I plan to make some up using plastic air pipe and push fit connecters as used on modern buses.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

I only discarded it recently, during the w/shop refurb. but about 10 years ago, I drew a schematic of a modified system, placing all the important components in accessible positions and re piping to them. the returns also were re routed and I spec'd ordinary copper brake piping for the job.
But as Doc says, there are a number of materials available now thatwould do the job.
I like the idea of pneumatic pipe and connectors. 8)
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I have to say I hadn't thought of that (curses! ) :evil: :wink:

That sounds an excellent solution - will the tubing withstand LHM immersion for protracted periods?

On a similar note, why can't corroded tank-to-pump fuel piping be plumbed similarly?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

modern plastic bus air pipe is designed to withstand oil (since air systems tend to have oil in them anyway) and extreme's of heat, so win win! Especially since I have miles of the bloody stuff!

I've seen BX's before now with rubber fuel lines front to back!