ok to axle stand just one corner?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

ok to axle stand just one corner?

Post by B-Hive »

Hi

looking down the barrel needing to do front end steering/suspension work on the TRS. In terms of working on the wishbone/balljoint it is recommended that just the corner concerned gets jacked up and put on stands, and then set the car to low. This method would save a lot of time and hassle compared to raising both sides and putting each corner on a stand; but I am wondering about the stability of this arrangement as the resting angle of the whole car would be quite severe would it not?, not to mention the load bearing surface of the stand might be not so safe..

Any thoughts??
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

You won't be able to do it just on the one stand as the torsion in the anti-roll bar will be fighting you! Both front wheels need to be off the ground.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

agree with way2go - why not stick a trolley jack under as well - set at the same height.

I would never work under a poorly supported hydraulic citroen
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Low would be tricky; you\'ve got next to no travel on the strut/wishbone to remove the ball joint with. Every movement you make would have to be done by moving the lower arm down, not lifting the strut up. Likewise if you have it set to high, as the strut won\'t move up either. I\'d set it to normal ride height and fire the engine up just before you do it, so there is travel both ways. You\'ll be able to lift the strut out of the wishbone. The ant-roll bar is connected to the wishbone, so if you move that you wobble the car as the other side replicates the movement. Personally I have done it many times with no real problems however, using a bit of common sense (and a BJ splitter!). Just make sure it\'s supported properly.

One thing I would say is that it\'d be better to pop the jack under the rear end too, once you\'ve got the front up on the stand. BX shells aren\'t exactly stiff (they don\'t need to be with that suspension!), and the amount of flex you\'ll find might alarm you, not to mention unduly stress the body out.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)