TZD blue smoke when cold

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

TZD blue smoke when cold

Post by scarecrow »

I'm thinking of buying a tzd which the seller says has this issue. What causes blue smoke? Is it an oil-burning thing?

Thanks
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Worn valve stem seals? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

More likely rings on a Diesel.
Ealry diesels had no stem seals at all, and I've rebuilt a fair few later heads that had totally mullered stem seals that didn't burn much in the way of oil.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Would I be right in thinking it'd be a very expensive repair then? Would it be best to fit a Recon engine, or get the rings done? Though I'm rapidly losing interest in the car as it needs some dents fixing too).

Thanks for the advice - it is much appreciated.

EDIT: The seller has stated it might be the valve guides, or a problem with the diesel timing. I would have thought if it were the timing it wouldn't be smoking just when cold. But I know nearly nothing, and what I do know is probably wrong!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

injection timing when cold is pretty critical to running.
A bit off and yes, it will smoke badly, and run like a stuffed pig. BUT, if the smoke really is BLUE as opposed to grey / black / white, then it really points towards burning oil.

IF it clears when warm and ONLY smokes blue after it's been shut down for a while then that would indeed point towards valve stems, but again, if it's burning enough oil to blue smoke then if it is guides / stem seals then they most be seriousley gash.
Easy enough to replace the guides and seals, but it does involve removing the head, and if you're doing guides, then you'd want to be doing the valves aswell, and may be the seats whilst you're there like, then there's the precombustion chambers that will almost certainly be cracked....
The cost just to recon the head could be large before you start.
Thats assuming it isn't rings. If it is rings, then thats a major strip down.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Thanks Chris - I've cacked-out of this one as it's too much for me to contemplate. I think I'll just have to shell out the dosh to get a decent one.