Will it pull it?

BX Tech talk
richardd1652
1K Away

Will it pull it?

Post by richardd1652 »

Will my BX 14 pull a car trailor laden with a dead BX?
I dont mean reccomended towing capacities etc but will it physically do it or just stand there smelling of burnt out clutch.Or do i sell it on and fix up my 19TGD ?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I would say it will do it Richard - but not a good idea on a regular basis.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

yeah it'll pull it without protesting too much.
Legalities you're aware of, so the rest is up to you!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Regarding the legalities Richard - when I got pulled for having twice as many strawberries as our van could legally carry it was a civil case - no points and a £60 fine :wink: Mind you I had to handball a couple of tonnes of strawberries on to the side of the road until the nice policeman came back several hours later to 'release' me. Grumble mumble - the traffic cop even had the audacity to look me in the eyes and say, "some people think traffic cops are stupid, but...."
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Didn't you try bribing them with strawberries?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Oh I can imagine their mirth at the poor little farm boys plight. I was swatting people off of the strawberries like flies anyway. I thought I was being loyal not making a few quid but Asda didn't want them after sitting beside the M25 for half a day at 25C so they probably just got dumped :twisted:

At least I got to be righteously indignant with the stoopid farmer for sending me out almost a tonne over weight. I could tell you some stories about that farm... and I probably will, eventually :wink:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Yeah it\'ll do it no problem (well uphills might be slow!) but you\'ll get more hassle from traffic nazis I suspect.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It's a lot lighter than a BX, but I took my 2CV on a trailer down to Shepton Mallet yesterday on the back of my 14. The biggest problem was the initial start, especially on hills, as 1st is really a bit too tall for that extra weight (a lovely smell of hot clutch a couple of times :shock: ) but once it actually got moving it wasn't too bad, although I was down to 20mph in 1st on a 1 in 11 hill :oops: .

On the other hand, when I went down there today (wihout trailer) I didn't get the usual difficulties changing into 2nd at the start of the journey 8). I guess that was due to the extra excercise those lower gears got :lol: .

Comparing it to other tow vehicles I've used, it's slightly quicker and more economic than the series 1, and although it's been a long time, from what I can remember of towing with my 19RD the diesel pulled better from standing, but the 14 seemed to pitch less, possibly due to the shorter over hang compared to the estate. You need to use the gears a lot more on the 14, but so long as you keep the revs up it's actually not much different in overall speed compared to the RD!

Overall, I'd happily tow a 2CV on a trailer again (I have to tomorrow :D ), and would even put the GS on a trailer behind the 14 for a short distance if I had to, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it because I don't fancy blowing the clutch up anytime soon! One thing's for sure - I aint towing the Land Rover behind it :wink: .
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!