Oil Pressure Sender

BX Tech talk
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Doc - you wrote (referring to the 19 Gti):
"But the oil pressure sensor is on the front of the engine (ok technically the side of the engine but meh) under the inlet manifold and above the oil filter. That wont loose any oil if undone, I mean, ok, maybe a tiny tiny drop, but thats it.
Absolute pig to get at without a bit of dismantling or having very petite hands though!
I modified a spanner for the job, and have petite hands, so I'm laughing!"

Is the position the same for the 16 motor? I've got a gauge tell ing me that I have oil in the sump when I first turn on the ignition biut when its finished doing that I don't get a read of the pressure. Suspect pressure sensor but can't SEE the sweety.

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

16's never had oil pressure guages AFAIK mate.
Only GTi and 16v's had them.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

thanks doc.
seems weird that they put the same guage on the inst panel as the Gti - got one of those, recognoze it - and then only use one of the functions.

WTS.

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

so your car has the pressure guage aswell as the level guage?
Are you sure it's the correct instrument panel for the car? It could maybe have been changed at some point for one from a GTi?
I've never heard of a 16 that had a pressure guage.
The oil pressure switch on the XU5 is down in the same place (just above the oil filter), so might be worth having a ganders and seeing if it has the pressure switch and a sensor down there, probably on a T piece I'd guess, since I'm pretty sure the XU5 only had the one outlet port off the oil gallery.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

so your car has the pressure guage aswell as the level guage?
The pressure gauge version is just marked as a scale - red block around zero then 2, 4, 6, 8 whereas AFAIK the standard gauge with the colour blocks to show initial oil level is not used as a pressure gauge.

I'm after a GTi / 16v instrument pod if anyone has one kicking around.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate