Biofuel effect on rubber fuel pipe

BX Tech talk
jhunt

Post by jhunt »

I have a BX 19 TXD running on refined vegetable oil. Goes great but just had the main fule return pipe practically dissolve with fuel pouring out. Only after a short journey and not hot and I am wondering if the biofuel has "melted" the pipe? The rubber for some length of the pipe has liquified and the end is impossible to fit back even though I cut it. Any tips woudl be appreciated plus where can I get a new fule pipe.

thanks

John
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I ran my TZD turbo on veg oil with no ill effects apart from it smelling like a deep fat fryer.No silly warm up systems in the tank even right through last winter,albeit with a slight mix of diesel to keep things from "goo ing" up,but no probs with fuel pipes.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

I've run cars on veg for a few years now and never had anything like that :shock: worst I've had to do is replace some seals in a 19 year old fuel pump - which was fiddly but not horrendous.

Richard you say you run your TZD turbo on it, just out of interest how many miles have you done so far at what sort of mix?, I currently have about 30% svo in my txd turbo - could I go higher ????? :D
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Have you had new fuel lines at all recently? A main stealer tried to sell me petrol lines for the TZD once....
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
jhunt

Post by jhunt »

Thanks Tom

I think it is the originla fuel pipe. I did speak to someone yesterday on my search for a pipe and he was aware of a problem in some cases. He recomended a plastic pipe which didn't interact with the veg fuel. Still searching!

John
jhunt

Post by jhunt »

Hi Richard

Just to let you know that I have fixed the fuel pipe problem. I bought an 8mm fuel pipe (1.5 mtrs) from Shell-tune which they said was for diesel and petrol. It was a bit tricky to get out and pull through the new pipe but got there in the end. It is still unknown whether the veg fuel with interact but I guess it will take years if it does. I do wonder whether the seals will eventually be affected by the veg fuel as I had heard that in some cars it could be a problem.
Hope yours is going fine.

Regards

John