Polishing tools/products

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Polishing tools/products

Post by scarecrow »

I've decided to invest in a polisher but, as ever, have become overwhelmed by the breadth of choice available.

Would someone be able to offer advice as to suitable 'home' equipment please? I'm not looking to spend over a hundred, and I'd prefer a lot less :wink: but I don't want to buy something that's going to make my paintwork look like a skating rink!

Maybe you'll just tell me to stick to hand polishing!

Thanks
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

hire one from speedyhire - £20 for the day.

Don't wear Swampy out, don't want you rubbing any holes in it!
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well I had been thinking of sellotaping a duster to the blade of my angle-grinder... but I guess a bit of elbow-grease might do it :wink:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

We have a "makita" rotary buffer at work, seems to be work well even with my clumsy fingers around it, just remember to keep the paint wet and wash out the mop head regularly and be careful on the sharp edges as its easy mop through!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If you keep an eye on the Lidl offers, they have had mains ones for, I think, £29 and rechargeables for £39.

If you sign up for their newsletter on line, you will know when they are due without having to make abortive journeys while they don't have them.

They are made by "Parkside" and although I haven't tried these, I've been pleased with some other Parkside electric tool purchases.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Handy tips all - thankyou
roody262
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roody262 »

I would recomend a dual action machine such as a DAS-6, much safer to use than a rotary especially with the bx paintwork which is rather soft!