Diesel Starting problem

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I had the starter an battery fail at the same time earlier this year - stripping the old starter it looked as though there was a possibility that copper braid that used to feed one of the brushes could have been shorting out to casing during start - so putting an extra heavy load on the already weak battery and helping its final demise.

To check the battery - give it a reasonable charge then put the meter directly on the battery terminals - during start the voltage should not drop lower that 9 volts.

Keep all your batteries fully charged in this weather - a flat battery will have a very 'weak' electrolyte - which can freeze at -4°C - and expand as temperatures get lower and that will break the casing and destroy the battery.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

electrokid wrote:
Keep all your batteries fully charged in this weather - a flat battery will have a very 'weak' electrolyte - which can freeze at -4°C - and expand as temperatures get lower and that will break the casing and destroy the battery.
Never seen this happen :?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Me neither - Kiwi mentioned frozen batteries earlier in the year so I looked into why. Flat ones freeze at -4°C, fully charged at around -60°C.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sorry for the lack of updates - very intermittent net access.

Two days ago, I got the BX started by using a jump cable between engine and negative terminal. Also got over 10v at the glow plugs. Once it had run, it started fine all day. Tried going out in it yesterday but the doors were frozen solid so I took the 2CV...

Earthing does look to be the issue for me I reckon.