Fuel tank size

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

You're right - some of my figures were rubbish :shock:

According to Wikipedia LEL / UEL for petrol is 1.4% / 7.6% with stoichiometry at 6.9% which you rightly say is around the proportion 14:1.

And Hydrogen LEL / UEL is 4% / 75% - wasn't quite so far out with that one.

Acetylene LEL / UEL is 2.5% / 82% so I was also wrong about Hydrogen being the most dangerous since acetylene has wider explosive limits - the problem with acetylene cylinders in fires is that pressure can build up in the cylinder and if it gets to around 30psi it's likely to explode with extreme violence - to keep the gas pressure below this it is dissolved in a liquid - usually acetone within the cylinder - an acetylene cylinder which has been transported on it's side should be left upright for 24 hours before use to allow to re-dissolve so the gas is at it's normal pressure.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Did they ever fit the bigger tank to the 14's?

My fuel light started coming on on the steep (1 in 8 ) hill on the way to work yesterday, then by this afternoon, when I left work it was on almost all the time. When I filled up I got just over 47lt in it, which by my reckoning means a 52lt tank!

Has someone swapped it or did they just stop fitting smaller tanks by the tine my car was built (1990)?[/quote]
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Unfortunately I have no bibles for the 1400 model around as it was not sold in NZ unless an import from the UK.

I know the MK1 BX14 was fitted with the smaller tank, not sure about the later Mark II as not sure what scarecrow has.

Although given the amount of "Limited editions" and with 1990 near to the end of the production run it is possible they slapped some 52 litre tanks in, much like the errant metal bonnets appearing on petrol versions. There is also that possibility of some damage being done to the ful tank and a 52 litre upgrade put in some time in your cars 20 years of life.

Then again 47 litres you could have been running literally on fumes and the fuel filler to the fuel tank can easily hold a few litres as well. I never actually been able to completly fill a fuel tank from empty, even running one out theres still a couple of litres slooshing around. Even with a 66 litre tank.

From what you described a permanant warning light would indicate less than 5 litres remaining in the tank. As you not stated any distance covered that would be an assumption made on what you said about your day trip?
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I have a 1991 Ph2 14 TGE Kiwi