Ball joints, wishbones and drop links

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Ball joints, wishbones and drop links

Post by scarecrow »

I'd be grateful for advice about fixing some knocks ad rattles from my front end.

Do I need to replace the whole wishbone (suspension arm?) or is okay just to do the ball joint? I was quoted £70 for the wishbone/suspension arm, but £8 for just the ball joint. There is certainly play in the ball joints and the drop links, should I be looking anywhere else as well?

Thanks (and sorry, I guess this subject has been discussed before, I just like the personal touch ). :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

scarecrow wrote:knocks ad rattles from my front end
Isn't that just old age? :wink:

Euro Car Parts do the wishbones, complete with bushes for under £30 a side. Not sure what the bushes cost on their own but it would save you having to press them in.
That wouldn't solve the ball joint problem though...and drop links are a separate item as well! So if the bushes are OK I wouldn't worry about the wishbones.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Ahh, therein lies the crux - am I right in thinking that it won't be possible to tell if the bushes are worn until the ball joints are replaced? As I'm not doing it, and the car has to be fixed during one evening, I might be better getting the wishbones replaced at the same time.

Thanks for the EuroCarParts link Mat. :)

Edit: What's a Lemforder Ball Joint (LH, RH, FR LH/RH) as opposed to the normal one? Is it just a quality thing?

Thanks
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Is it just a quality thing?
Yes, they're a big German name, OE equipment to BMW and I think were the OE suppliers for the BX stuff too. Lemforder BJs (have to be careful where I use that abbreviation) are available cheaper from AEP, who I've had good dealings with. They're cheaper for OE drop links too but don't list the bushes or wishbones (may be worth a call though, if you get the total over £50 it's free postage).

My plan is to try the ECP wishbones but keep the old ones to refurb in my own time as and when I can get OE quality bushes cheaply. Mine haven't got any play but are starting to crack a little so are on their way out.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Maybe I should just ask, is the bush the bit the ball sits in?

Edit: :D

Edit 2: Ta for the link
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

No - the bushes are the bits around which the wishbone rotates...

A quick Google search later and this (not for a BX) shows bushes at the lower/LH end and a ball joint at the upper/RH end. On the BX the BJ is screwed into the hub carrier and a taper joint into the wishbone, so any wishbones are unlikely to come with BJs.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

That makes much more sense now. Thank you. I reckon I should buy the wishbones too.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

For £30 a side you's be mad not too!
I had no idea they were kncoking them out so cheap!
After spending £50 on genuine bloody bushes for mine aswell...
Oh well...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The genuine ones will probably last longer though, hence why I won't be binning the old arms...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the arm bush's dont usualy cause knocking unless they have brocken up completly, they usualy just cause tyre wear,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

From experience most of the knocking comes from the ball joints and the drop links - it's hard to feel the play in the drop links when it's all fitted as the tension in the anti-roll bar takes it up. Fitting new ball joints and links got rid of all my TZD's front end rattles even though I can easily feel the wear in the wishbone bushes. The main reason I haven't got round to changng the wishbones yet (I've got new genuine ones on the shelf) is I haven't yet managed to undo the main nuts, let alone shift the through-bolt/pin...
I'd suggest leaving more than one evening for the job, especially if you're doing it for the first time!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Thanks exactly what the mechanic said Kev! He was telling me about how he has had to cut bits off with a little piece of hacksaw blade.

And thanks too to Malcolm - I didn't know that about the bushes.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as someone has offered to fix the car quite cheaply - but I'm not sure how much it should cost. I got an estimate of £70 a side for the ball joints...EDIT: garage estimate including parts, the other estimate was £20 just for labour.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I received my new drop-links and ball joints from AEP yesterday. They must have been out of stock on the cheaper balljoints as they've sent me Lemforder's at no extra cost! I didn't get the wishbones as I only have access to a ramp for one evening, they'll have to wait for another day.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Should I have bought two ball joints for each side?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Only if you can think up another imaginative use for them…you need 2 in total, 1 per side! I'm confused though - did you actually get the BJs from GSF as AEP only list the Lemforder type?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad