what the heck is it now

BX Tech talk
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

what the heck is it now

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Ladies and gents.
Have one BX 14 RE with injector motor which didn't make it back from the local shop, just died on the way home.

Lots of fuel coming through, so not fuel line or filter. Lots of spark coming through, at least on nr 1 cylinder (removed lead and checked for spark on earth point).
Will start and run very feebly, but evenly for 30 seconds - no power in the turnover, dies if the accelerator is pressed - if allowed to stand for a few days to a week but definately no go if just a few hours (after one of the feeble starts).

Suspect that the head gasket is failing since there is oil in the radiator water and in the exhaust fumes (but somehow it passed the last MOT with no comments on the emission levels).
But the head gasket problem wouldn't give this sort of "die without warning" symptom, methinks - was running well until "something gave up".

Monopoint sickness? Blocked injector as a result of age or gunge?

The body is good and I really don't want to scrap it, been doing great service for 100000km (now about 200000) while I have had it the last 6 years.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Mike in Sweden

PS just resurrected a 92 16 injector "Millesime" (which is most of the bells and whistles), about to do the same with a 90 19Gti.
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maybe mayo has built up in the crank case breather and its causeing a blockage in a vacumm pipe,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Thanks Citronut
For the uninitiated me - any suggestion as to a remedy that doesn't rank too high on teh Haynes scale of difficulty?

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

pull off any hose running from/to the inlet/induction manifold area, rinse them out with petrol and blast the points they came from with carb cleaner, then bunge it all back together and try it

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

New head gasket.

Andy