Massive lhm leak under the car.

BX Tech talk
DFF53
Confirmed BX'er

Massive lhm leak under the car.

Post by DFF53 »

Woke up to find a lot of lhm under the car, not the usual drip from the fdv but a significant amount from the driver side . Upon inspection i found the driver side strut return line split. Started the car and waited for the car to go up to make sure it was a low pressure leak .

Then put the car on stands to get the wheels off, but the wheels werent retracting up to the arches like it should . It went up to all the selector positions as it should except when on the lowest setting the wheels didn't get off the ground while on stands. Can someone please explain?
Grenouille Rouge
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

You answered it yourself!

Pressure or in this case lack of allowing garvity to maintain the postion of the wheel downwards.

Incidentally there seems to be a lot of these strut return hose faults on the drivers side. Must be a New Zealand thing I had both BXs doing that side.
DFF53
Confirmed BX'er

Post by DFF53 »

Hi Kiwi, So it is due to lack of pressure as i thought, i fear that this problem might have been caused by myself not jacking the car up properly. The other day i jacked up the car just on one side of the car to patch the passenger side return line leaving the driver side wheel firmly on the ground, possibly putting too much pressure on it . This leak only happened the day after that.

did you get a replacement return line or did you have it patched up. If so, who stocks the replacement line and how much is it?
Grenouille Rouge
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Funny you mentioned it, I never gave it any though when jacking the car of what you think happened but now I think of it there has been the odd occasion this has happened.

Regarding the return lines I had a a new spare lying around (back up) and found a good one I had floating around from a BX that was dismantled, it was a newish one when I took it off (no cracking).

The botch and pray repairs finally got to the point of having to do...the TZS got through its WOF then the repair gave out the following day :lol: Figured might as well do the TRS at the same time being due next month.
May even replace the CV boot as well if it passes without any major points (not that NZ WOFs are that good).
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Massive lhm leak under the car.

Post by Way2go »

DFF53 wrote:
put the car on stands to get the wheels off, but the wheels werent retracting up to the arches like it should . It went up to all the selector positions as it should except when on the lowest setting the wheels didn't get off the ground while on stands. Can someone please explain?
I don't believe the BX is designed to do this although it is applicable to some other Citroen models. :?
DFF53 wrote:The other day i jacked up the car just on one side of the car to patch the passenger side return line leaving the driver side wheel firmly on the ground, possibly putting too much pressure on it . This leak only happened the day after that.
Coincidence, the return lines are unpressurised. It is however possible that extending the car upwards in order to jack caused the already perished return pipes to crack and therefore leak.
1991 BX19GTi Auto