A funny thing happened........

BX Tech talk
mikesg
Good Old boy

A funny thing happened........

Post by mikesg »

A funny thing happened to me on the M27 last night on the way back to Chippenham from Portsmouth in my TZD estate. It was a wet and windy night and I was doing about 65ish , just approaching junction 4, when all of a sudden, with a whoosh of air & rain, the o/sf window lowered itself without an invitation from me. After the initial shock, I pressed the one touch up button and up it went. This occurred twice more during the trip and each time the window was raised using the same button. I was wondering if any members had experienced the same thing? When time permits, i'll try to sort it out. Hopefuly just a faulty switch.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Assuming you`ve tried the switch since and window opens and closes o.k I wonder if it`s parts of the wiring curse? You know the one where the constant opening and closing of the driver`s door causes the wiring to chafe and you get a `jump` in the electrics/intermittent working of both front windows? Maybe, just maybe, the wind and rain have combined to make a break down of electrics to the window?
Vauxhall apologist.
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Hi Cav. I decided to leave well alone last night, once it was up. I will start looking for possible cause in due course, weather permitting. Thanks for your suggestion.

Happy New Year to one and all.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

i am not sure on the wiring as such but if there is a possability of a small short with in the switch then the gust of wind could have caused the wire to move shorting the switch?? (similar to cavmads suggestions!!)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You need a BXorcist!

Seriously though did your TZD have one touch windows as standard or is this another feature that my DTR Turbo is lacking? The reason I mention this is that if its been added later then the wiring may not be as good as it should be.

I'd start by looking in the driver's door and in particular looking for bare wires, chafed wires and poorly fitted connectors and taped joints, particularily if a number have been bound together.

Its also worth having a look to see if there are any relays (there must be some) that could have become waterlogged. It may be for example that bits have been left loose in the door bottom rather than being secured. its also possible that they have been placed so that the window mechanism catches them when it moves and eventually damage has been caused - and in the windand rain a trigger current has been provided which operates the relay momentarily and the thing goes through its cycle.

jeremy

jeremy
M

Post by M »

jeremy wrote:Seriously though did your TZD have one touch windows as standard or is this another feature that my DTR Turbo is lacking? The reason I mention this is that if its been added later then the wiring may not be as good as it should be.
Drivers was standard - passenger side often "upgraded" by cunning owner.
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Hi Jeremy,
In my time I have had about 4 TZDs, including two currently and they have all had one touch jobbies. The DTR which I have recently disposed of, didn't but that was a 1989 model.
Regarding the BXorcist (nice one), it was quite weird when it first happened, I was in the process of changing lanes to continue on the M27 West, rather than the M3 going North and with the motorway full of traffic, very disconcerting.
Given time and good weather, I will try all relevant suggestions.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Perhaps your BX was doffing its hat to BX club members? Tom (at weekends) is not for off that junction, as is Jeremy.

It didn't tip the window for me in Gosport, though - I'm mortally offended......
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have owned a few one touch buttons, some of which were well worn and just possibly capable of the thing yours did, either that or its definitely haunted :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Sorry about that Dave but I did think of you on the way to Pompy (one of my sons lives there), knowing that you reside in Gosport (where my sister in law & son live. Brother unfortunately died) She is near Fleetlands. What I was hoping for was that you would have posted a complimentry thread stating the sight of an immaculate L reg, Triton green TXD estate, had you clocked it.
I'll send you a pm next time I go to Gosport. As Tom is in the same area perhaps we could arrange a meet in the New Forest or there abouts, sometime in the Summer?
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

I forgot to mention. I have a BX Club sticker in my rear window. Maybe I should put it in the drivers one to charm the goblins away. :D
M

Post by M »

mikesg wrote:I forgot to mention. I have a BX Club sticker in my rear window.
Oh well that explains EVERYTHING then!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Ah well - after 6 years I'm finding that there are indeed more differences between DTR Turbo and TZD Turbo than just a different badge. The list so far seems to be interior light delay and one touch windows (drivers side) - but then I suppose it could be that mine is an estate and assembled in a different factory. My 16 valve which is the same age (sept 89) has both.

jeremy
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Mike - thanks for the suggestion - please do let me know when you are coming down next. I'm deep in the heart of Gosport now, a short walk from the ferry over to Portsmouth.

Jeremy - the earlier Mk2 diesel model trims ( R, TR )were in general inferior to the petrol ones: for example, the early RD models had seats in a diabolically nasty, scratchy synthetic material. I like the DTR front seats though!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Mine did this when raining then seemed to cure itself but was later cured after the passenger window packed up and it was the broken wires in the trunk between the door and body on the driverside.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp