tick toc II

BX Tech talk
sdelasal
BXpert

tick toc II

Post by sdelasal »

TicToc reminded me ... my clock has been stuck since I got the car - it's the large clock on the right of the speedometer - it still ticks away just no movement. Is there likely to be anything I can glue.repair if I dismantle it? Steve
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: tick toc II

Post by kiwi »

sdelasal wrote:TicToc reminded me ... my clock has been stuck since I got the car - it's the large clock on the right of the speedometer - it still ticks away just no movement. Is there likely to be anything I can glue.repair if I dismantle it? Steve
What model BX is that?

You will probably find that you can remove that dial clock and put a rev counter in its place. Couple of past BX mk2 (16RS) I did that . the wiring is there or should be.

Then again same advice as Tick toc I grab a clock out of another frenchie and the wiring again should be behind the tray.

Great thing about the low spec models the wiring 90% of the time for the higher spec is there already.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

It'll be a while before I get to dismantle - but I have an instrument pod that has a clock in it (don't know if it's working or not but it could well be ok) that I won't be using so you're welcome to that when I get around to working on it.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

well i got the dash out today, all ready to drop in my replacement with rev counter & temperature gauge ... but, there is no wiring for the rev counter and no wiring for the digital clock in the centre of the dash (this is a base 19RD model). So it's plan B, replace/repair the old analogue clock - anyone got one spare? Steve
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

sdelasal wrote: no wiring for the digital clock in the centre of the dash (this is a base 19RD model).
Should be, mine did have behing the blanking panel?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Defender110 wrote:
sdelasal wrote: no wiring for the digital clock in the centre of the dash (this is a base 19RD model).
Should be, mine did have behing the blanking panel?
Yeah but yours is an auto. like mine they have everything in there. Not sure why they went for clock instead of rev counter :?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

My 14 TGE has no wires for the digital clock, the rev counter or any other equipment that's not fitted to it. I wonder if it's an age thing, as there are some extra wires in my GS (I think for fog lights that were an option, although I'm not certain), and I know that later 2cv's have wiring in place for warning lights that were only fitted for the Belgium & German markets.

If you wanted to, I can't imagine the digital clock & rev counter would be difficult to install. You should be able to pick up earths and the correct types of feeds elsewhere in the dash, plus run a wire from the coil to the rev counter (assuming it picks up it's pulses that way) to make everything work. Even if you don't have the wiring to start with, you may be able to trace which fuse circuit to come off of with the help of a workshop manual or one of the experts here.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

My 89 RD had no wiring for the rev counter, digi clock, or pretty much anything else.

I'm no electrician, but I managed to make the clock work, and the rev counter.

The rev counters easy, you only need to find an ign. fed supply and an earth, or which there are lots around the dash! then run a pair of wires down to the TDC sensor. Ignore the shield wire connector, I did, works fine.

The clocks much the same, you just need an earth, a live, and a supply from the headlamps if you want the dimming feature when the lights are switched on. I didn't, so I didn't bother with that, since I tend to run with the lights on most of the time, hence it was a bugger to have the clock dimmed during the day..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

It turns out one of the small plastic wheels inside the clock had broken. I realise now, don't have the speed sensor fitted to the back of the engine & so i'm just going to go for a replacement clock for now if I can get one. Steve