Cylinder Head Bolts-Which are the correct ones?

BX Tech talk
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Cylinder Head Bolts-Which are the correct ones?

Post by Dickster665 »

I have a 1985 Citroen BX19 GT and would like to get hold of all the correct spares to do a head gasket change. I understand that there were two types of bolts used to secure the head. Which are suitable for the earlier cars? Here are the choices Citroen give;

13 CYL HEAD BOLT
0204 44
11X150-168
- UNTIL RPO No. 03764

0204 57
11X150-175
- SINCE RPO No. 03765

What does RPO stand for and how do you relate it to your car?

I have read in the forums that you should use a good quality head gasket. Who supplies the good quality ones and which ones are to be avoided?

What else is likely to need replacement when I take the head off? I'd rather have spares that aren't used than wait a week or two for new spares to arrive.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

RPO is the replacement parts organisation number, it's on a plate under the bonnet on the right hand wheel arch, this is the critical number you need to use for parts ordering because it changes as the car is modified during production runs.

To order your head bolts you'll need to quote the rpo because they do change part way through the run, that's why there are two options listed. Gibbo.
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks Gibbo, I think I have found the correct identification plate, but which number is my RPO?

Thank you for your assistance.

Dicky
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Not on there I'm afraid Dicky, I may have misinformed you thinking of another model. Here'a an explanation. Gibbo.

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/organr.html
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's a 4 figure number stencilled in large font in the hinge area of the front passenger door.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks chaps. Way2go I am assuming by stenciled you are refering to a number sparay painted on the chassis through a stencil. If this is the case I think my car has been resprayed at some point and the number obliterated.

Is there anyway to determine the RPO number from my engine and chassis numbers? If there is, my chassis no is:is VF7XBXG0008XG4136 and the engine number is 159Z000206.

Cheers Dicky.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Dickster665 wrote:Way2go I am assuming by stenciled you are refering to a number sparay painted on the chassis through a stencil. If this is the case I think my car has been resprayed at some point and the number obliterated.
Yes, you should see it on the hinge closure panel when the door is open if it hasn't been eliminated by respray.

If you try Europarts site or ring them their search is done by inputting your Registration Number. :D

Linky: http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Even if they don't stock them any longer they may be able to tell you the part numbers you need ?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks chaps for your assistance. I failed to find my RP number but via a bit of lateral thinking acheived my goal.

By inserting the RPO numbers given in the spares list into Gibbo's RPO to day of manufacture converter I determined the date at which a change of component occured. From this it was clear, in this case, which head bolts were appropriate for my car. It would get a bit more difficult if the change in design occured within the 6 month band that I think the car was made, otherwise it is a very helpful tool, thank you.

A word of caution to anyone else wishing to use this method, omit the zero that precedes the four figure number in the spares list otherwise the converter gives spurious dates. It was when the output given was sometime in 1974 I realised that something was not quite right.

Cheers
Dicky