Pipe question

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

There is no 'knack' unfortunately Steve but it sounds as though you're doing alright. The front end is a bit tricky! The old seals can be hooked out gently with a piece of wire but generally they're in good nick - preserved in LHM - I have re-used 80% of mine.
'Saga' is definately the right word - I've been re-piping for the last 3000 years. The safety valve comes away quite easily and try to jack the car as high as possible to get a bit of head room around the front. Are you referring to the front height corrector - that is buried in 'The Heart of Darkness!' :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I had some good luck today on my re-piping odyssey.

There is a front suspension pipe that goes from a 3-way connector, bottom right of subframe to the top of the left hand strut to connect with the sphere.

This pipe was replaced at some point by two different ones, connected by a 2-way. Maybe this was because only the bottom half of the pipe used to corrode? Anyway one of these pipes and the 2-way connector are NFP from Citroen now.

I went down to visit the GTI wreck which has been sat in its field for years and unbelievably the very pipe that I needed ( the earlier one section version) was one of the only salvageable pipes on the car - it was probably replaced shortly before the car was written off in a crash.

I dragged a heavy hand fork-lift across the soggy field and squeezed it under the sill, then lifted til I was able to get a stand under the subframe then crawl underneath into the dampness to cut out the 3-way with the pipe still attached.

Result! I was wondering how I was going to fabricate the missing pipe. I've now replaced every pipe on the yellow break except the thick one from the regulator to the pump! I've got a big pile of rusty pipes lying in the corner of the garage now.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read