HP Pump belt tension

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

HP Pump belt tension

Post by Wooscary »

This should be really tight right?

Mine seems a bit loose. No symptoms that I'm aware of.

So, how do I (if I need to) tension it?

Cheers

Martin
(Who is driving to Berlin at the end of December and is starting to worry about things a lot more) So I'll probably be asking loads of questions.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Martin,

it should be really tight, did mine with a mate on Sunday. Just loosened off the nuts n bolts holding it in situ [2 from memory] and leant against it with a pry bar whilst redoing the nuts.
Mine was squealing a lot of the time, very annoying but all sorted now.

Andy
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Cheers. Yeah, there's definitely slack in mine.

I think I need to find a photo of the area with arrows, as I can't really visualise the nuts and bolts of which you speak. :D
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

It's dead easy. Think alternators - one main through bolt to lock it up plus a slotted arm to stiffen/brace it up with smaller locking bolts on each end of this. Look down just underneath the pump and you'll see the thread of the bolt on the rh side (as you are looking down) with a nut on it. The bolt has a locking flat on the other side so you don't need to hold it, just slacken off the nut with the appropriate spanner. Just above the pump you can clearly see the slotted arm running forward to the engine block and the locknut holding it in place (11mm from memory but that's the one ring size I don't have so have been using a 7/16 AF instead.) Slacken locknut, insert crowbar,
lever scientifically until belt is tighter than a choirboys bum in a seminary, then retighten. Obviously if you are taking up more than a certain amount of slack then the arm will have to move which means slackening off the locking bolt at the engine end, but that is your call. Personally I like all my nuts and bolts to work which means undoing them whenever you have an excuse to.
You may recall my post a few weeks ago about the warning light coming on intermittently and I got much useful advice. But none of it hit the bullseye - the problem was due entirely to a stuffed belt slipping on the pulleys (you couldn't see it happen, but it was doing it anyway.) The thing was a wreck, several teeth missing and well polished. One new belt later, tightened as per forum advice, problem solved. I had a look at the junker spare we keep on the farm and it was just as bad, and the condition is VERY difficult to see without removing and handling said belt. So if you are in there remove it completely and inspect it in a good light. At less than a fiver (unless you are being ripped off) changing it has to be a good thing, if there is any doubt.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Very good advice from Tim /\.

But:
If after you have finished the tightening process, and the belt still not ultra tight.

Then look at the end of the slot in the flat metal arm, if may be at the end of the provided adjustment.
If so a new belt will be required.

But as an interim measure, elongate the slot with a round file to allow further adjustment.

Good luck
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Excellent. Cheers for all that, should be much easier to visualise now.

I've got a new belt knocking around anyway, and although I'm pretty confident the one that's on there is new in the last year, I'll probably whip it off, as it isn't exactly a horrible loopy routing (unlike the aux belt on Passats...shuddering just thinking about that).

Anyway, cheers again.

Next up the weird noise on acceleration....more on that later. :D
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

tim wrote: (11mm from memory but that's the one ring size I don't have so have been using a 7/16 AF instead.)
Shame on you - sign of a proper Citroënist is to have a selection of 11mm spaners for all occasions...! :wink:
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The amount of 11mms I always seem to find when all I need is a 10mm is surprising.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

The wife does have an 11mm in her Moto Guzzi toolkit but there are some things man was not meant to meddle with......
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Women? :shock:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Sorry to drag this back, but just reread what had been said, and clearly I was being a bit dense, it all suddenly clicked and my HP belt is now nice and tight (actually I even fitted a new one!).

Many thanks for the advice.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

And while at it, check the tightness of the pump mounting pivot bolt nut. In my experience, it's the most usual cause for cracking of the high pressure supply pipe at the pump end union.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Sounds worrying. I'm not sure which nut you mean. I think it's the one slightly lower than the pump, I undid this while tightening the belt and then did it up nice and tight again (it was really tight to start with).

:D
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

That's the one. I'm afraid I don't know the proper English term for it, but it's the one tightening the shaft along which the HP pump body rotates in the bracket when adjusting the belt tension. An M8 self-locking nut.

The one that was completely missing from Johnbird's pump in that incident.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.