power steering ram removal

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

power steering ram removal

Post by B-Hive »

Started today on the replacement of the PS ram in the GT. On the surface an easy job.. No so..After a bit of a struggle and compromise to release the fluid feed hoses, I went to remove the main bolt holding it onto the rack..I tried pretty much everything I could think of to release this bolt..no go...the main problem being that you CANNOT get a 19mm socket fully onto the bolt head. I tried a combination of levered spanners but none will fit securely and fully enuf to allow for a percussive wack with a mallet.

Any one experienced this situation.and if so is there a vulcan nerve pinch type technique that I should be using??... The GT's a project (read zero mechanic $ to be spent) so am avoiding reassembling and carting it off to someone, but I fear that too many years of this part being in situ, that my injuries incurred (trying to get the offending bit out) may be more costly than the outlay to get "the man" to do it.

Plus, I have to add that the rack needs a new boot (left side), and the rubber disc connecting the steering wheel is looking very tired as well.. So it may be prudent to remove the whole steering assembly,,is this possible with the RAM still attached??
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Unusual to see a 19mm bolt holding the ram, they are nearly always a T55 torx bolt.

Is it just TIGHT or rotted in?

If the issue the angle of the rack you could slacken off the mounting bolts and tilt the rack a bit?

That said, if you need to do the hardy disc and the boot anyhow, then maybe whipping the rack out would make life easier in the long run.
Yes the rack will come out with the pinion and the ram still attached.

You'll need to feed the rack towards the NS and twist as you go so the ram is facing up, then pull down and out towards the OS.

Much easier with the TRE's removed, but you can do it with them still attached aswell.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Thanks for that info..very useful

I suspected that the bolt didnt originally belong, otherwise it would have been a very bad design to prevent/inhibit this bolt's removal..pretty sure its just tight..very tight.

Its not so much the angle for a socket thats the problem but the clearance (lack there of ) not allowing the socket to sit cleanly over the bolt head and turn.

So given that you indicate it is possible for the whole assembly to come out, and that its needs a couple of other things done..looks like I'll be pulling the whole thing...especially as i think the boot would be a right royal pain to do in situ.

To refresh my memory,, being RHD the NS passenger side, OS is driver's side??
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

sorry, yes, Ns is passenger side, OS is drivers side for a RHD car.
The only ballache bit of the job is the two pipes in the side of the pinion, I've found a short spanner and attacking it through the wheelarch is the easiest approach.

Other than that, once the gear selector rods are removed it's a straightforward enough job, just requires the rack to be turned the right way to clear everything around it, but you'll see how to easily enough once you start manouvering the rack towards the passenger side.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

even if you are going to remove the complete rack i would still crack off the ram fixing bolt and the nut on the spigot at the other end,

as this will stop it moveing about so you can give it some welly

as Doc says
"slacken off the mounting bolts and tilt the rack a bit"

i have found if the two 12mm pipe nuts are to tight,
i use a cut down 12mm pipe spanner placed onto one of the nuts, then with a long drift on at the end of the spanner (going in from under the wheel arch) give it a sharp blow, this just crack's the nuts off,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
B-Hive
BXpert

its out!!

Post by B-Hive »

It was one of those jobs we're all familiar with...Appears to be quite straight forward job...Actually a bit of a pig of job whilst in the middle of it...then when its done..you think "actually it wasn't that hard". Yes so it was tricky but not impossible but the whole rack is out avec RAM.

The gear linkages were a trial thanks to the Haynes not explaining that early models ball joint linkage had to be removed from underneath..not via a nut on the top..a trick for new players!!

Pretty happy i did it this way now actually as has opened up the space to let me give a thorough clean and sort. Plus not only one of the steering boots was shot but they both were!!,,abd the hardy disc was almost ready to fail completely!!! yikes!!!.

Thx everyone for the help
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone