Petrol draining back .............. is this common, gents?

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Petrol draining back .............. is this common, gents?

Post by Linegeist »

Fitted a new Weber to the Athena a month ago - superb thing! Economy's amazing, acceleration's crisp and the hot starting's cured - but .......................

If I leave the car for a few days, it takes a LOT of churning to get it to fire. Examining the fuel system shows that the large fuel filter that came with the new carb (and fitted between the pump outlet and the carb inlet spigot) is empty, and my guess is that the petrol is draining back into the tank, the float bowl's evaporating off, and the whole circuit has to be re-primed each time after a long stand.

I've remade all the joints to the various spigots and, as far as I can tell, they're fuel and airtight ..... although the evidence would suggest they're not. Is this a known problem with the BX petrols? Logic seems to suggest that mounting the filter at the lowest point in the run would help - or is this another senior moment?

And what's the big alloy canister on the front of the engine where the three fuel lines meet?

So many questions - so short a lifespan ............... :? :cry:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Just a guess Bob - the float chamber will have an overflow system of some kind which will either be open to air through a tubular device on the outside of the carb or it will be fed to the 'clean air' side of the air filter.

Can I sugest that - wherever air is getting in to the feed side of the carb to allow it to flow back to the tank - a one-way valve in the feed pipe should in theory sort it.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Oh be done with it and fit a diesel! :wink: Seems a bit of a shame now you have it running well though.

A bit of an off the wall idea - an inline fuel solenoid which is closed wit the ignition off to prevent drain back. It's kind of fixing the symptoms rather than the cause, which goes against the grain somewhat.

Although let's try and think about this logically (not easy at this time on a Friday evening!) Engine hot, turned off, float bowl evaporates, float drops, float valve opens. Therefore the fuel system is no longer sealed, so drain back can happen. Sound plausible? In which case why did it not do it before...? :?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

mat_fenwick wrote:Oh be done with it and fit a diesel! :wink:
Pure comedy... :wink: My derv-mobile was doing the same for the first couple of months!

With my experience with mine, it doesn't matter how convinced you are that it's airtight... it ain't :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

What sort of fuel pump has it got Bob, there is usually an anti syphon / drain back valve built into the pump. If it is the lift pump type with diaphram valves the diphrams can split or just be stuck open by a piece of debris, blowing out with an airline can cure this.
Last edited by Defender110 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

A bit of an off the wall idea - an inline fuel solenoid which is closed wit the ignition off to prevent drain back
Not off the wall at all - I think most carbs fitted to the BX have a solenoid 'idle cut off' valve which prevents run-on - I guess it may double as a one-way to stop fuel going back to the tank.
there is usually an anti syphon / drain back valve built into the pump.
I think that's spot-on Kevan - the diaphram valves are one-way by default.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: Petrol draining back .............. is this common, gent

Post by kiwi »

Linegeist wrote:And what's the big alloy canister on the front of the engine where the three fuel lines meet?
Ah ha so it is not just the Kiwi versions of the BX that have these funny metal tin cans fitted.

When I asked this question about that can on here and aussiefrogs the only response I got was it was some sort airation chamber :?

Not really got a clue either to be honest as I have it fitted to both BX19s but it was not fitted to the BX16 I took apart.

Even my well versed mechanics have no idea it seems what it is for just saying it is part of the fuel system :roll:
Examining the fuel system shows that the large fuel filter that came with the new carb (and fitted between the pump outlet and the carb inlet spigot) is empty, and my guess is that the petrol is draining back into the tank, the float bowl's evaporating off, and the whole circuit has to be re-primed each time after a long stand.
Nothing unusual in that either, I just went out and checked my TZS thats been parked up the last couple of days to confirm this and indeed the fuel filter is empty.
Come to think about this on both BXs whenever they have been standing for a couple of days or more they both need repriming and dont start on the first start.
N idea the reason why either.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

kiwi wrote:
Linegeist wrote:And what's the big alloy canister on the front of the engine where the three fuel lines meet?
Ah ha so it is not just the Kiwi versions of the BX that have these funny metal tin cans fitted.
That'll probably be an evaporation canister, most petrols have them.

They absorb the fual vapour from the carb/tank then release it into the engine later, otherwise you'd find the smell of petrol everytime you walked past a car (the vapour's gotta go somewhere), not to mention the explosion risk.

They usually contain activated charcoal.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

JayW wrote:That'll probably be an evaporation canister, most petrols have them.

They absorb the fual vapour from the carb/tank then release it into the engine later, otherwise you'd find the smell of petrol everytime you walked past a car (the vapour's gotta go somewhere), not to mention the explosion risk.

Ahah! The thick plottens Jay!!!! The car's always reeked of petrol - but so did my Mk1 GT ..... that's why I like diesels. I rather think the petrol's draining back via the fuel tank return line, emptying the upstream pump chamber and the carb-float bowl line as well. As far as I can see, there's nothing much to stop it in the standard setup. I'm wondering, as a final check of this theory, if chucking a tablespoon of petrol straight into the venturi after a long stand will result in an immediate startup. This'll prove it's lack of fuel causing the fault - or otherwise.

I love the idea of a solenoid - that's elegant! :wink: As for the pump, it's brand new (I thought I'd fit a new pump to go with the new carb - sort've making sure I didn't end up playing 'Spot the Strange Symptoms" after the Weber lung transplant.) I only look dim.

I'm rather thinking along the lines of that solenoidal shutoff valve idea, ditching the 'aeration chamber' in favour of an in-line restrictor, and blanking off the large venting spigot on top of the Weber to slow evaporation.

The pain in the bottom with all this, is that with the old Solex, despite its penchant for vast amounts of bang-juice and a stubborn disinclination to start after anything more than a 10-minute run, the damned would ALWAYS start from cold, regardless of how long it'd been stood. Like a dog desperate for walkies, I swear it used to perk it's ears up when it heard the ignition key going in the steering lock. :lol:

Thanks for the input blokes. As usual, you've posted all the stuff I hadn't thought of .............. :evil: See what you've all gone an' done? I feel stupid now ................ argue:-( [-( :wink:
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

This a common thing on 2CVs and H vans. Easiest 'cure' is to fit the priming bulb from a diesel in the fuel line – if it's been standing a few days or weeks, a couple of squeezes of the primer fills the carb and lines and away you go.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I love the idea of a solenoid - that's elegant!
Weber DRTC and DRTM as fitted to Citroen both have the solenoid shut off valve - but they often 'add ons' in the Weber range - the idle jet (which is the only one we need to be concerned with) can be fitted with a solenoid or not as the carb builder sees fit - so it's a standard Weber part and possibly still available off the shelf from Southern Carburettors.

What is the full type number of your carb Bob ? I Have Hayneses Bumper Book of Weber Carbs (Haynes 1784) and that may well tell me if there is a standard bolt-on solenoid for your carb and other info such as the path taken by the bowl overflow which is a potential path for evaporation or syphon.
I rather think the petrol's draining back via the fuel tank return line
Normally the feed and return pipes are connected to a 'Y' on the carb with a limiting valve so that there's a small amount of flow from feed to return (so that the fuel going to the carb is reasonably cool all the time) so flow down the return pipe shouldn't matter.

If it needs cranking for say 10 seconds or less before it bursts into life I would suggest that the carb bowl has emtied - if you need to crank for longer I suggest the fuel has emptied from the feed pipe or even further back as well.

Glad to hear all its actual running probs are fixed and it's otherwise doing a good job :-)
with the old Solex, despite its penchant for vast amounts of bang-juice and a stubborn disinclination to start after anything more than a 10-minute run, the damned would ALWAYS start from cold, regardless of how long it'd been stood. Like a dog desperate for walkies, I swear it used to perk it's ears up when it heard the ignition key going in the steering lock
Oh now please... a Solex with ears :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Well thanks for that Jay - I learn something new every day - not usually as useful as that though :-)
With my experience with mine, it doesn't matter how convinced you are that it's airtight... it ain't
If I park on a slight sideways slope I sometimes need to prime - I found a potential air leak at the control spindle on the diesel pump - it's quite worn and moving it sideways sometimes produces a very faint hissing noise as the air leaks in - I've got a spindle bearing recon kit (£90 quid + :shock: ) but haven't fitted it yet.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

JayW wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Its strange that in all my years of owning BXs (22 years) I never seen them before. Although in saying that none were post 1990 petrol models these two are.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Hi Bob, thinking a bit more about this and knowing that the granny suffers from fuel flowing all the way back to the tank (the Pierburg is obviously completely deaf :-) ) I found this...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... l+solenoid

which looks interesting - mainly solenoids for LPG conversion but hey - a solenoid is a solenoid right.

I looked at one listing that said the valve was off with 12v applied which may have something to do with the way LPG systems are set up or (more likely in my opinion) the listing is wrong.

I have put...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Petrol-Soleno ... 19c0d704ce

on my 'watch' list - it's brass bodied and just about the cheapest as well - coming from Lithuania shouldn't be a problem. And I've sent a question re whether it's on or off with 12v applied.

I'll probably try one in the granny even though that's probably got a leaky pump diaphram - proof of principle and all that :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Would it help to fit an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical one? For a start it wouldn't be sitting on top of a very hot engine block, and they are self-priming too. I'm going to do this when mine is converted to a Weber, unless one or more people tell me I'm an idiot :wink: