Starting with automatic choke and gearbox

BX Tech talk
Phil Brook
Confirmed BX'er

Starting with automatic choke and gearbox

Post by Phil Brook »

I know it couldn't be worse right now with the cold but how do you start one of these!! I am familiar with the auto choke on a manual but not with auto. box. The car starts ok but just dies away when put into drive. Eventually after about five attempts the car will run but seems constantly undecided about which gear to select until thoroughly warmed up. Quick get aways ie trying to get to hospital quickly in the middle of the night was not very easy. Is the only way to let the car idle for a few minutes? Fitting a manual choke which I would prefer would probably lose the kick down facilility wouldn't it? Appreciate any info.
Philbrook
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It sounds like your autochoke isnt working properly Phil, I had a similar problem with a 19TRS Auto a few years ago, until it was warm and you tried to set off it would either stall or shoot off at speed.

have you checked the emissions as of late? it could be the carbs been fiddled with for the MOT and its all out of kilter.

A manual choke conversion shouldnt affect the kickdown I imagine, and is a good idea if you can get one.

I DO have a spare carb from a low miles 16TRS auto which I was keeping as a spare.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Roverman wrote:.............................
I DO have a spare carb from a low miles 16TRS auto which I was keeping as a spare.
Maybe ! when it's paid for :wink:

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

RxBX wrote:
Roverman wrote:.............................
Maybe ! when it's paid for :wink:

Gee thanks. :roll:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: Starting with automatic choke and gearbox

Post by docchevron »

Phil Brook wrote: Fitting a manual choke which I would prefer would probably lose the kick down facilility wouldn't it? Appreciate any info.
No, not at all. Personally I detest auto chokes and would always have a manual choke over auto anyday.

The kickdown cable is attached to a cam off the throttle spindle so it'll still work just fine with auto or manual choke.

Is the box over filled with fluid? And how much cable protrudes from the kick down cable (from the end of the threaded bevel to the nipple) when the fully released and fully pulled out?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...