PS RAM-usual symptoms of failure?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

PS RAM-usual symptoms of failure?

Post by B-Hive »

Hi again,,

As I seem to be waiting and waiting for my parts man to get off his derriere and send me my replacement Power steering RAM, I thought I'd take the op to research that it has infact failed..

I'm fairly certain that its is leaking profusely, but is this what normally happens to them?

I ask this because in removing the steering rack and cleaning everything up on the subframe area I noticed a separate (clear) return line had popped out from its tee-junction (just to the right side). I may have actually done this myself and happened when i was cleaning in and around this area, OR it could have happened when I was doing the Citro-aerobics. It was only when I started doing the suspension exercises that the fluid started pouring out and it seemed to be coming from the ram, as a result of going from one steering extreme to the next. However I think it is also quite possible that this other pipe popped in the process and began spewing green in all directions, or has been off for a while and only floods after aerobics due to the high volume of fluid return.

So I guess my question is again, when the RAM fails does its leak/leak profusely, or does it just stop being effective/give weird erratic assistance or something.

Might be able to save some coin on a replacement, but dont want to put old one back obviously if there is a problem with it. I guess bench pressure testing the RAM is out of the question??

Thnx
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hmm, I've had various failures with rams.
One just went REALLY tight, as in, the steering locked almost solid, without warning.
The ram had blued and bent, how or why I dont know, but it didn't leak.
Several others have failed through leaks on the piston seal, and yes, it'll start as a weep then get EPIC.

Usual signs of a leaking ram just starting to go would be the piston getting wet with LHM really.
That said, if it's got a leak nearby and covering the ram, hard to tell sometimes.
I imagine they could be pressure tested. Can see no reason why not.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I have a known good spare ram off the car if it's of any use?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

JayW wrote:I have a known good spare ram off the car if it's of any use?
Thankyou that would be great but I live in Australia...that aside if you're willing to send it to me how much would you want for it?? obviously i would cover the postage as well..

I called my breaker AGAIN today and still no return call, apparently he's too busy to deal with his customers...just plain rude if u ask me..if he didnt want to supply me, I would have prefered he lied and said he didnt have the bit.

Even though finding out he has a suitable one took 6 phone calls!!! He a high profile french wrecker down under..makes you wonder...I'm tempted to get opinions on this wrecker/breaker on aussie frogs but i think i would maybe be burning a bridge or 3....
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Oz no problem...

PM sent.