cv boot replacement

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

cv boot replacement

Post by B-Hive »

How do i best replace the outter CV on the BX?
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

1. Crouching beside the car, grasp the wheel with your left hand whilst lighting the puddle of petrol beneath the car with the lighter in your right hand.

2. Retire to safe distance where you can warm yourself by it's pleasant glow.

3. Go out and buy a rearwheel-drive car with a live axle...

Sorted! No more CV boots to change. Ever.

Alternatively, if you still insist on fixing it..... :wink:

If it's just a quick get-you-outta-shit-and-see-it-through-the-winter-coz-it's-cold-outside-and-you-don't-want-to-freeze-to-death-fixing-it then i'd have to recomment the good old glue-together split boot, the "MOT saviour" but has to be done in clean conditions (or the glue won't stick).

If you want to do it properly then you can just get away with: crack hubnut, remove wheel, split bottom joint, disconnect tie rod and pull the hub assy free from the driveshaft... Bob's your Aunty... (though she'll be a very frozen aunty...)
I have zero patience for your tedium.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

OK, being that i've just realised from your other post that you're in Oz I guess the "Winter Repair" isn't really relevant... :roll:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

JayW wrote:OK, being that i've just realised from your other post that you're in Oz I guess the "Winter Repair" isn't really relevant... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^^^ Luv it

If the rules are the same as in NZ then a split CV boot will not fail the physical unless grease is getting on the brakes....yea go figure.

So a quick solution is get a black plastic bag and couple of cable ties until such time you can get a CV boot fitted. It took me nearly a year to do the TRS :oops:

Local Garage did it for me in 0.67 hours and was far less hassle than DIY!