What is the best way to do an engine coolant flush

BX Tech talk
n11xxy

What is the best way to do an engine coolant flush

Post by n11xxy »

Hi
I recently had a new head gasket fitted by a mechanically minded friend, My problem is that oil residue is still in the coolant when I take the radiator cap off. My friend said to give the engine a flush out. Another friend said the mechanic he uses says the best thing to use, the cheapest is to use a dishwasher tablet or two? has anyone else any suggestions or is this ok? and what is the best procedure?

thank you

Mark
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Never used dishwasher tablets!
I usually drain the system down, add some proper flushing agent (Forte is good) fill with water, run up to temp, empty it out and repeat until it's all nie and clean looking, then refill with coolant.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
n11xxy

Post by n11xxy »

Thanks Doc, I guessed as much, but it would have saved a 15 mile round trip to a car accessory shop. Do you hose the pipes through to get as much out as you can before you connect everything back and put the flushing agent in?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I usually pull the rad out and back flush it, if I'm feeling very decident then I've been known to remove the thermostat and flush the engine through, but most often the crap collects in the rad anyway.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Have you ever bothered backflushing the heater matrix Chris ? If so was it particularly cruddy or did it not seem worth it ?
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

nevr have in a BX no, in some other stuff yes, but I've never had cause to yet in a BX mate.

I fitted a new one tot he red car about 8 years ago after the old one became incontinent, but even then it got good and hot all over!