O/S Drive shaft removal

BX Tech talk
encargado
Confirmed BX'er

O/S Drive shaft removal

Post by encargado »

I am trying to remove the O/S driveshaft from my BX19 GTi and have managed to get the hub end off without any issues, my main issue is that I cannot now release the shaft as it appears to be welded at the intermediate bearing. I have removed the nuts from the back of the retaining screws and they are free to come out completely (if the inboard joint was not there) but I cannot budge it. I am now contemplating the removal of the stabilizer link or engine mount and trying to free the intermediate bearing once I have the whole thing off the car. That is unless there is anybody out there with any other suggestions as to how I might free this up.

Thanks in advance

Fred
1989 BX19-GTi Auto in "Gris Axonite" - Coming together sloooooowly.
1988 VW Golf 1.6 CL Auto
1995 Volvo 850 T5 Auto Estate
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Sounds like your bearing is just stuck in the carrier. It\'s quite a common thing. Make sure the bolts are undone (nuts off etc) and the bolts themselves are pushed right out and rotated 180degrees so they\'re not touching the bearing anymore and can\'t catch it as it passes through. Then just some patient leverage with a pry bar or similar (I used a tyre lever and a hammer!) Make sure nothing else is in the way or restricting it.

I can\'t see anyway, nor any reason how/why the shaft would be welded in. If you welded the bearing you\'d boil all the grease inside and it would grate like Louis Walsh.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi
I have just posted on your original post.
You probably wont be able to remove the engine mount with the drive shaft as it is doweled to the block and the drive shaft wont move out enough to release it from the dowels while it is still in the gearbox.
If you are very careful and have a blow torch you could try heating the mount alternatively if you have an electric heatgun,
Be sure to clean of any excess oil before trying to heat it.If you heat it and then try some sort of lever behind the inner joint and hopefully that should do it they can be a bit of a pig.
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've sucessfully used a forked (wedge type) ball joint splitter to hammer out a stuck driveshaft in the past.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

kermit the frog wrote:You probably wont be able to remove the engine mount with the drive shaft as it is doweled to the block and the drive shaft wont move out enough to release it from the dowels while it is still in the gearbox.
It will ya know!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Big hammer and drift :)