It\'s trying to piss me off

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

It\'s trying to piss me off

Post by Kitch »

So finally get the BX pretty much bolted back together (bolted together enough to drive it somewhere....still doesn\'t have a dashboard!) and my plan is to take it to work and finish it there. One of the jobs on my list is the dosuer valve, as my brakes have been weak, the PR is pretty much continually open and the back end not only sinks very quickly, but sinks when you stamp on the brake pedal. Classic signs.

Plan was to ring Pleiades tomorrow to order a new one, or a repair kit to rebuild the spare one in my garage. Parked the car up tonight.....3 hours later and the back is only halfway down and it\'s not sinking on the pedal anymore! Don\'t really want to buy a new valve if it\'s not the problem.

It\'s trying to brainfuck me. It\'s succeeded!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You've had the LHM tank and wotnot out though right?
It'll most likely return to sinking faster within 2 weeks....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I did have it all out mate, yeah. What do you reckon, new unit or rebuilt kit for the old one? Can\'t remember if theres more than one type or not either?

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Mine used to sink a bit at the back with the brakes on while waiting at a junction for any length of time - it pretty much stopped doing that after the LHM was replaced and the main filter cleaned.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote:I did have it all out mate, yeah. What do you reckon, new unit or rebuilt kit for the old one? Can't remember if theres more than one type or not either?
early or late, yours is a late.
Personally I'd get a new one, cos ya know, whilst I can still buy a shiney one I will, but personal preference really.

I have rebuilt a couple now, and the kits are way cheaper than a new one, but it's less fiddly to hand over some wedge and just shove it in!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

I have rebuilt a couple now, and the kits are way cheaper than a new one, but it's less fiddly to hand over some wedge and just shove it in!
Doc, do you have a contact details for these seal kits (or is it as easy as going round to the local stealer) as I understood some component parts of what you would expect a Doseur valve seal kit to contain are no longer available. If so I have a couple of Doser valves that I would like to have a go at rejuvinating myself.

I recently fitted a service exchange Pliades dosur valve to a BX, and it cured the excessive ticking time. What sold me on this idea was that Pliades stated they routinely delphena honed the bore of the valve to remove any bore wear and then fit an oversized hardened and ground spindle to compensate for the material they honed out.

When you stripped your Doseur valve, was any bore wear apparent, and if so how did you determine if it was still within limits, the reason I ask is that I myself have rebuilt several PAS pinion valves (easy enough with a set of O ring picks and the special Citroen tool). Upon stripping the pinion valve casting had detectable wear in the bore where the three seals constantly rub against it, however upon flex honing the bore and rebuilding it, the wear had no noticible effect. However I am assuming the satisfactory performance of the Doseur is considerably more sensitive to wear on sealing surfaces, than the pinoin valve.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I got the kits from the stealer mate, that said, it was a fair while ago now, I'm sure I still have the bags in which they came somewhere for part numbers though.

I had several units laying around, and having stripped them all I just used the best looking! One had some very nasty scoring down the bore, and yet oddly the car it came our of worked perfectley!

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well rang Pleiades today and reconned ones are only £70, so to be honest it\'s not worth me messing around, potentially screwing one up and having to shell out on a reconned one at the end of it! So I\'ll order one tomorrow when I remember my wallet!

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

It came and I fitted it. Bit of a bastard to change as far as I\'m concerned! Not too many bolts, just poor access....getting the pipe unions lined back up and screwing in properly mucked me up a bit!