clutch

BX Tech talk
sdelasal
BXpert

clutch

Post by sdelasal »

The 1.9RD estate passed the MOT today with only a headlight needing adjusting - so I'm chuffed. What i'm finding annoying is the clutch pedal is quite stiff and pull away can be jerky. I've renewed mounts and clutch lever and that has helped but it's not good enough!. I'm going to have a go at changing the clutch cable first and so if that helps. Other than that it's a clutch job - which I don't particularly relish the thought of. Looking thru the archives I see various comments from people on this topic - so please PM me if you're a clutch wizz and up for changing a clutch for me - or can recommend someone. The car is in use every day, so I can travel, and it may last for a long long time - but I'd rather it was more enjoyable to drive. Steve
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The clutch cable may well cure it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hmmm, heavy and juddery to me says it's on it's last legs.
If the cables about to snap the pedal usually goes quite light.

You could try slipping the clutch for a bit to burn any contaminates off.
If you dont often drive like the stig the friction plate can glaze up and cause juddering, happened to mine quite a lot since I never used the throttle when pulling away, just dumped the clutch, so it never really did much.

Not a bad job on a NA really.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'd say the clutch cable, the plastic lining picks up on the inner cable an causes it to drag, not just a Citroen problem. Gibbo.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Is this the grey estate that's on ebay right now, in Tadcaster? Very close to me if you'd like me to have a look at your clutch for you.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

No, different car. Thanks for the offer though ken, but i'm in essex.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Mine can judder a lot at times, and the bite is right down on the floor. I might look at that anyway as the gearchanges have become quite clunky - not sure the clutch is actually releasing cleanly.