Raspy noise when accelerating

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Raspy noise when accelerating

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while. I'm attempting to get a video/sound recording of this, but the noise seems to be at a frequency/volume which is pretty hard for a mic to pick up.

Anyway, when accelerating there is what can only be described as sort of raspy. It gets a bit louder the faster you go. The sound seems to come from the driver's footwell, but it could of course be traveling through from somewhere else.

The car doesn't seem to be affected by it, but with long journeys ahead and a girlfriend who perceives the noise as being a sign the car is going to blow up (which of course it might be), mean that I'd like some opinions.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would check the exhaust downpipe to turbo/manifold joint first?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ok, I've had a look at that. It all seems pretty solid, but it's pretty hard to see. I guess I should be looking at this from the top of the engine, but can see more from underneath.

What should I be looking for?

Now you mention turbos though, the noise does seem connected to the turbo, in that there is a "normal" turbo noise, but as speed increases the raspy noise is kind of in tandem with it. Sorry for poor description/comprehension.

Cheers

Martin
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

And just to add, I've only got a petrol Haynes, so it's not quite matching up.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

there's a load of "strange turbo noise" vids on youtube - perhaps compare? one og them is raspy, too.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Sounds like a plan. I can't find anything specific to a BX though, got any links? :D

Cheers.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I wish it sounded like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-A1Nvoves
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You haven't had the pedal box out have you? or messed around that area? If so there is a blanking plate of sorts down there, if its not been fitted back or it might have come loose then the engine noise is quite pronounced, the sound will be appearing from the footwell.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It could be that the trunking between the turbo and intercooler is loose, although that would be likely to give a noticeable power loss.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Haven't had the pedal box out, and have checked everything around turbo/intercooler/related pipes that I can. I'm going to have a look at the pedals though, as something could have come loose I suppose, the clutch is creaky too, so it warrants attention (creaky clutch remedies anyone? :D). It doesn't sound like an inherently "bad" noise, just that one day it wasn't there, the next it was.

Cheers for the thoughts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Check the rubber boot/gaitor that fits to the bulkhead and covers the clutch cable entry. Also check the rubber grommet for the throttle cable entry.

Does the car still accelerate as before? if not I'd be checking the induction hoses.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I've been having a lovely evening in the footwell. Inconclusive, nothing seems to be loose/missing/letting loads of noise in, but the noise really does appear to be coming from the footwell region.

The car still responds as it should as I far as I can tell, still responsive, fairly smoky, leaking some oil from the cam cover gasket (correct term?).

This video hardly picks up the raspy sound as a) The camera's mic is poor, and b) I live 200 yards from the Mancunian Way and the ambient noise, although pretty quiet one used to it, very loud on a recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lCznRhLAY

Also, my creaky clutch. Is this a case of lubing, and if so, where do I apply lube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaUofzPMBy4

Hold on, issues with videos, arg.

Cheers

Martin
Last edited by Wooscary on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Wooscary wrote:I've been having a lovely evening in the footwell. Inconclusive, nothing seems to be loose/missing/letting loads of noise in, but the noise really does appear to be coming from the footwell region.

The car still responds as it should as I far as I can tell, still responsive, fairly smoky, leaking some oil from the cam cover gasket (correct term?).

This video hardly picks up the raspy sound as a) The camera's mic is poor, and b) I live 200 yards from the Mancunian Way and the ambient noise, although pretty quiet one used to it, very loud on a recording.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooscary/5257855377/

Also, my creaky clutch. Is this a case of lubing, and if so, where do I apply lube?

Cheers

Martin
EDIT1+2: Sorry - still doesn't work :(
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Flickr wouldn't allow me to link a private video, so Youtube it is. First one should be sorted, second on the way any second.

Cheers for having a go though. :)
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ok, I borrowed a very posh portable sound recorder and so the audio of this file is much better.

It's actually really picked up on the sound I'm talking about, and made the engine seem quite quiet in comparison.

http://wooscary.tumblr.com/post/2347832 ... -is-making

It might take a second to buffer.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know as I have the day off, the sun is shining, and I'm ready to get oily!

Cheers

Martin