Raspy noise when accelerating

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Listening on my admittedly naff laptop speakers, could it be the sound of a belt rubbing, or maybe a bearing ?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

It does sound like a belt or a bearing, I agree. Hope it's not a bearing. I keep thinking it's your turbo as it gets louder as your turbo spins up.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The HP belt is a bit loose, but that's on the other side of everything, surely such a dainty sound couldn't travel like that?

The cambelt and tensioner were done recently, not by me (so should be fine).

The oil leak does go near the fan belt, but it looks clean, could it be oil on a belt? Seems unlikely.

Oil leak is coming from the cam cover gasket I believe, could this be anything to do with it?

Cheers for the thoughts
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

How about you check the air intake pipe(s) between the air filter box and the turbo intake , and then air pipework from there to the intake manifold. Maybe it's simply the noise of the engine breathing - which is usually masked by all of the pipework being sealed back to the air filter box.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I've had all the air intake pipes to pieces recently as a regulator had gone. So, maybe something is loose, but I'm pretty sure it all went back together well enough. Suppose it could be a small split or hole in a rubber pipe, that creates a bit a whistle when the engine is going?
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

On the way back from our recent trip to Berlin, we missed the ferry so had to wait for two hours. The sun was shining, so I thought I'd have a poke about and see if I could find what was causing the noise once and for all.

Happened to look closely at the pipe pictured below (it's the one that provides a flex link between the big pipe from the air box to the turbo(!?) (Dead technical me). It had some kind of putty/filler on it, which I gave a little tug to, it all came out in a big lump and revealed a hole. I thought this might be the perfect answer to the noise, so taped it up as best I could on the spot and then once home araldited it as a temporary fix, which hasn't stopped the noise. So I now don't know if I should get a new one, or check for more holes? Argh!

5 by Wooscary, on Flickr
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The accelerator pedal keeps coming loose and actually pretty much fell off recently. The nut on the end doesn't like being done up too tight however, as this puts too much friction on the pedal for it to return after being pressed. Could this have anything to do with the noise?

I'm running out of ideas, as filling the hole in that rubber section has made no different at all. Hmmm.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

It's driving me insane. Next day I'm free and the sun is even remotely shining I'm taking it all to pieces! Ha ha. :D
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Sorry to drag this back up, but I've been threatened with serious action from my girlfriend if this doesn't get sorted out before we drive to Spain at the end of July.

I have a proposal - would anyone in the north of England, or even a little further afield maybe, who feels they might have the slightest clue what this problem is if the car was in front of them, mind me paying a visit?

I'm not asking for free labour or loads of time, but if someone had a free couple of hours I'll happily pay/bring beer etc. I'm just not sure what a garage would really do if I turned up.

Anyway, if anyone fancies it. It's just a pain I can't seem to ever make it to the meets.

Cheers

Martin
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Can you replicate the sound when stationary or does it only happen when accelerating under load? What RPM does it kick in? Is it restricted to a certain rev range? Have you tried (i)operating the accelerator cable while listening with the bonnet up, or (ii)pressing the accelerator pedal with one hand and looking underneath while crouched beside the car?

Mine does a ringing sound at 2100 RPM which I can hear from under the car when I do (ii) - which I assume is a heat shield vibrating against the exhaust at a certain sympathetic frequency, or coming from the downpipe that's nearly had it.

Your sound file does sound like something blowing/leaking to me...

Mark.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Yeah, I've tried operating the throttle with the bonnet up etc. It happens while stationary the same as moving, but does seem louder when moving, and only becomes audible at say 1500 to 1700 rpm I would think. (It's such a tractor that it's hard to tell).

Blowing/leaking is also my feeling on it. I just spend hours taking things off and reseating them, one day I'll find the right bit, and in the meantime I am learning a lot.

Cheers for the thoughts.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Why don't you bring your car over to the CCC Wetherby meeting this weekend, i'm sure some of us can have a look at your car & try & diagnose the problem & possibly even fix it for you :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

That sounds like it would be my best option, and very kind. Just wish I didn't end up working practically every weekend.

Maybe I can swap a shift and come along on Sunday.

Very kind offer nonetheless. Cheers.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Indeed, get over to Wetherby, Im sure between the lot of us someone can mend it, also someone MAY have a spare pipe?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....