seized brakes

BX Tech talk
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

seized brakes

Post by Nat »

Hi

I've sorted my key issue now and I've moved back to what I was starting to work on before the key got jammed

The BX 4x4 GTI failed its last MOT on a number of issues one of which was na seized front, N/S brake.

its not completely seized, its still works but jacked up its is hard to turn the wheel (partly because its taken so long for me to do the rest of the work on the car).

Whats the best way to un-seize the brake caliper without buying a new one, its currently got almost new disc's and pads so very little space for the piston to move back anyway, but pushing the piston back in does allow free ish movement of the wheel, although you can tell its pushing alot more on one side.

any advice is most welcome

thanks

Nat
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

Hi

ok so I've taken the calliper off and wiggled the pads loose, pushed the piston back in a little but the main problem seems to be the mount onto the wheel.

the spacers that the bolts go through to fix the calliper onto the suspension, one of these spacers is seized in place (hitting with a hammer has no effect)

on closer inspection you can see that the rubber on one side has perished allowing oil out/dirt in which is probably the cause.

whats the best way to un seize the spacer?

and can you get replacement rubber seals?

Thanks

Nat
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Nat wrote:Hi

ok so I've taken the calliper off and wiggled the pads loose, pushed the piston back in a little but the main problem seems to be the mount onto the wheel.

the spacers that the bolts go through to fix the calliper onto the suspension, one of these spacers is seized in place (hitting with a hammer has no effect)

on closer inspection you can see that the rubber on one side has perished allowing oil out/dirt in which is probably the cause.

whats the best way to un seize the spacer?

and can you get replacement rubber seals?

Thanks Nat
The seals are in a repair kit part number 4439.03

Pouring boiling water over the offending siezed slide might expand the alloy enough to release it. Gibbo.
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

and where would I find part number 4439.03?

google isn't helping me other than an ebay item that finished yesterday :(
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I would take the pads out again and wind the cylinder out as far as possible and lightly grease it. Then move it back and forth a few times. This worked for mine which had the problem that you describe. It's been fine for a year.
I don't know how you've been moving the cylinder but it has to be wound using something with a square shaft lain flat across the head of the cylinder engaged in the slots in the end - I use an old screwdriver. It won't move otherwise. Hope I'm not stating the obvious!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Reading the query I think that he's not saying the pistons are stuck more that the caliper doesn't slide on its mounting. This will cause the pads to drag and wear one pad excessively. Gibbo.

The seal kit is probably a dealer only part, unless anyone knows better. :)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Two 17mm bolts hold the caliper in place - take these off, take the caliper off, clean and grease the sliders, cobble together a new seal from neoprene and self-amalgamating tape, and Robert is your father's brother.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"