Starter Motor Fault

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Starter Motor Fault

Post by kiwi »

A couple of times this happened the classic no response when turning the key. Which I thought was the solenoid on the way out or a loose wire.

Turns out it was neither the fault is something new to me where a rather long screw was missing that holds the solenoid to the motor. The other had losened just enough to cause a random fault.

Well you learn something new everyday. Now find a screw to replace it as the spare starter has 3 screws and not two like this starter has :?
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Late 1960s I was giving a mate a lift to and from work. Walking to the car after work one day I spotted a large bolt on the ground and said something like 'hey look - someone's car is really falling apart'. Oh how we laughed :lol: I picked up the bolt and put it in the car 'in case anyone needed it'.

Halfway home the starter motor fell off :oops: :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

With bolts like these it is often easier to get hold of a length of threaded rod of the right thread size, and 'make' a bolt by welding a nut onto the end. Or simply use it as a stud - if you use a nylock nut on the end the action of tightening that will screw the stud in.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

My wife's car had been doing this for many months and I did think it was the starter motor.

My own motor was broken :( and I had to use her motor.
Then there was not one light lit and it turned out to be the earth lead on the battery.
Later on in the day I replaced the clamp onto the battery and it's been a gud en ever since.

It was the original lead clamp thingy, really should have lasted longer than this
Land Rover Discovery TD5