Steering Couplings

BX Tech talk
richardd1652
1K Away

Steering Couplings

Post by richardd1652 »

Are the couplings different between PAS and Non PAS?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Funny you should ask...!

I've been having the same quandry...

I swapped the power rack out of the valver in favour of a manual rack and found that the pinion valve on the PAS rack reaches further up toward the column base that that of the manual rack pinion (by some 50 mm).

There is only one hardy disc available (which i've bought) which doesn't bridge the gap, still leaving a 30mm gap.

My only conclusion is that there are 2 different lengths of the lower half of the steering column but have yet to be able to confirm this.

If there ever was a different coupling for manual racks i find it had to believe it would bridge the 50mm gap?

Does anyone have a manual steering motor that can take a pic of the coupling???
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It's a bit cold & dark out there at the moment, but if I can remember where I put the camera I'll take a pic tomorrow for you.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Steering Couplings

Post by Way2go »

richardd1652 wrote:Are the couplings different between PAS and Non PAS?
Richard.
Yes!

GSF doesnt stock the PAS disc assembly, only source I found was the stealer which was OK at the time but may be hard to find now.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

GSF doesnt stock the PAS disc assembly, only source I found was the stealer which was OK at the time but may be hard to find now.
Quite correct, but GSF do still stock (the last time I checked) the non PAS version, and with care it is possible to convert a non PAS coupling to a PAS coupling, by recycling the lower steel part of the old PAS coupling which engages with the pinion valve splines, and bolting it to the non PAS coupling with suitable length 8mm allen capscrews, and nuts. You will also need a couple of short 8mm allen capscrews to connect the PAS coupling to the steering column, as the non PAS coupling does not have the 8mm studs that the PAS coupling has.

This modification works well as I have used this dodge myself, and its still on the car 6 years later. The nut and bolt approach does make the fitting of the pinch bolt on the pinoin valve spline a bit tricky, buts its not to bad considering.
Last edited by Kevin B on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

My only conclusion is that there are 2 different lengths of the lower half of the steering column but have yet to be able to confirm this.
Correct, because the manual steering rack does not have the extra height of the PAS version (due to the lack of the PAS pinion valve), the lower half of the steering column needs to be that bit longer than its PAS equivilant.

If there ever was a different coupling for manual racks i find it had to believe it would bridge the 50mm gap? coupling???
The rubber component of non PAS coupling is identical to the PAS equivilant, so its the same width.
Does anyone have a manual steering motor
If you get really stuck I may have a lower potion of the steering column from a non PAS car.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is trade price and part No.'s for both from the dealer,

the first one is non power steering

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95631286 COUPLING 20.95 GBP 24.62 GBP 24.62 GBP

95630094 COUPLING 26.00 GBP 30.55 GBP 30.55 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote:

95630094 COUPLING 26.00 GBP 30.55 GBP 30.55 GBP

:shock: They've bumped the price up over 52% since 6 years ago then. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto