Heater Fail

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Heater Fail

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not a good start to Christmas. Jumped into the BX, fired it up (queue loads of smoke and misfiring - brand new glow plugs haven't cured that but it was many degrees below zero) and I started scraping the windows. After a few minutes of running, top hose was warm but heater outrput was freezing. Tried going for a drive but still absolutely no heater output. Tap is open so what's gone wrong? Coolant is still liquid and it worked yesterday!

Have noticed the heater getting cooler at times, but while the 'stat is a suspect, I wouldn't expect it to cause a complete failure to warm up even a little bit.

Had to ditch the BX and coax the 2cv into the snow, despite that having its own issues!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'll wager that the heater matrix is frozen solid. Not enough anti-freeze in the coolant. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. It was a combination of the 'door' to the heater matrix freezing shut and the matrix itself being frozen up. It took approx 40 minutes of driving and repeated opening/shutting of the on/off heater control to free it up and let the warmer coolant in to the system. It was quite alarming with an infant in the car too. I now run -30 degree coolant un-diluted.

p.s it can't be the thermostat if the top hose is warming up and some coolant will still be liquid even though some of it is frozen in the matrix
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'd be wary about running (ethylene glycol) coolant undiluted - it relys on the mixing with water to lower the freezing point of the resulting mixture, with the lowest freezing point at something like 30% water. Neat ethylene glycol will freeze at about -5 degrees C!

Sorry, can't shed any light on the original problem but would agree that whatever happens to the thermostat, coolant *should* still circulate through the matrix.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It comes in a nice blue bottle here and is pre-mixed for -30 ready for use. Not only does it look good it tastes bloody lovely. Cheers! beers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes ready mixed coolant is becoming increasingly popular over here too, it includes water conditioners in de-ionised water I believe.

http://answers.halfords.com/answers/402 ... htm?page=2

http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Co ... olant.html
Last edited by Defender110 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:It comes in a nice blue bottle here and is pre-mixed for -30 ready for use. Not only does it look good it tastes bloody lovely. Cheers! beers
Ahhhh! I understand now. :oops: Not for me though, I prefer the stuff in green glass bottles... ~wine~

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Gosh Mat! I never thought of you as a gin man!!!! :shock: :lol:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Frozen matrix would fit the bill. I couldn't operate the tap - though on mine, there's a rather heath robinson affair to replace the original broken cable! It was ferociously cold that night. Will have to see if it thaws out...
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

A good reason not to use 100% antifreeze, is that it is useless at moving heat. You need some water mixed in for that.

It may not freeze, but it will overheat the car when the weather improves.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

50% antifreeze is about as good as it gets in my eyes! Like has been said to much is not good when the engine warms up.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Back home now, and a bit of a thaw is due, so I'll see if the heater recovers...

It's still running pretty much on the coolant it had on the BXagon - which was a pretty strong mix (albeit with some accidental detergent in it - improved the heater performance though!). Certainly, the coolant didn't freeze up the way that the CX did a few weeks ago...(that thankfully thawed itself with no damage done and now has a stronger mix!)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

You thought that the heater tap could be stuck with gunk like they like to do?

You have not mentioned this so maybe or maybe not you looked into that.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tap's open. Started the car today and the heater was fine, so a frozen matrix looks likely. Coolant level was a little lower than usual, so I'm worried I've now got a leak somewhere. Indeed, after a couple of minutes, there was some steam from down the back of the engine...

Bit miffed about the starting. Having changed the glow plugs, it's no different to how it was before, even with multiple bursts. Still get lots of smoke and misfiring. Horrible. Not quite as bad with today's above-freezing conditions!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

New glowplugs do not necessarily mean that they are all fully functional.

How do I know this ???
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Air leak Ian? Can't remember if it was discussed/checked previously but I had one which took a while to track down. Starter still turning OK I hope though!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad