front end suddenly hard

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

front end suddenly hard

Post by B-Hive »

Hi all

Jumped into the car this morning for a brief journey only to discover that the front end had suddenly gone quite hard. Its quite firm now on the drivers side and actually quite rigid on the passenger side, almost as if something had locked up on the passenger side but is effecting both sides.

The strangest thing though, is that a bad knocking sound that I had been experiencing from the passenger side has all but gone. The spheres are relatively new and were nice and floaty just yesterday, so I cannot imagine the left front sphere has spontaneously packed up..or maybe it has..but that wouldnt explain why the knock has vanished.

Can anyone from the brains trust offer up an explanation as to why this would have happened...strut?? ...anti roll bar bearings/drop link ???... seized wishbone or balljoint ???

Thanks
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

My first thought is a Sphere failure and yes they can go suddenly even if new! Only once had this happen to me before with a new sphere that just went rock hard overnight.

Second Thought Height Corrector Failure, not sure how to explain that one as experiance is the HC fails the nose dont come up.

Other than that you got some pretty darn cold weather conditions which do all manner of weird things to cars, especially our highly technical ones.

I still go with the sphere at fault though.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You've probably dragged the height corrector link round on the anti roll bar in the ice so that its locked in the high postion. Gibbo.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Gibbo2286 wrote:You've probably dragged the height corrector link round on the anti roll bar in the ice so that its locked in the high postion. Gibbo.
That reads like the writing of experience :?: :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Gibbo2286 wrote:You've probably dragged the height corrector link round on the anti roll bar in the ice so that its locked in the high postion. Gibbo.
Not much ice nor arctic conditions down under this summer here in Australia!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:
Not much ice nor arctic conditions down under this summer here in Australia!!
Could it be a build up of flies? :wink:
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Could it be a build up of flies? :wink:[/quote]

Possibly the build up of British tourist road kills..

:P
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:Not much ice nor arctic conditions down under this summer here in Australia!!
True that you just got Antartic blasts coming up from the south pole, floods, swams of locusts, cyclones....did I miss anything :lol:

I will still go with hard sphere failure.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Do you drive on cinder tracks at all? Could be a build up of ashes...

I think I'd better up-stumps as I seem to be pontinificating on a very sticky wicket :oops:
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I will still go with hard sphere failure.
Fixed,, swapped out the offending sides sphere and presto..

Thanks for the diagnosis..I really would not have otherwise suspected a blown sphere..

Thing is, the night b4 this happened was the first time those spheres have a had a full load of humans, so I am wondering now whether it just couldn't take the additional load and spat the dummy..

Back to floaty boaty..yay!!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone