glow plugs

BX Tech talk
nige
Confirmed BX'er

glow plugs

Post by nige »

hey all. I replaced the glow plugs for the first time ever on my BX 1.9 Have had a few starting sissues once it gets below -5 overnight. All was fine, drove off but after about 2 miles the engine was shaking and juddering all over the show. Stopped the car, squeezed some fuel into it with the hand pump.. it picked up then all was well for a bout 50miles then the same thing happend. Topped the tank up and it hasnt done it since. However when idling the engine seems to be fighting with its engine mounts in the car I can feel the vibrations thrugh the seat. Was hoping someone might have some thoughts for me.. at the mo am about 500 miles from home so even if you could put my mind at rest that would be great
cheers
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Might be sucking air in the fuel. One reason could be, if you have not drained the fuel filter recently and there is some water, it can freeze and block the fuel filter and the resulting vacuum will break the hand pump diaphragm, letting air in. Symptoms just as you described.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes I can'y think of any reason why this would be connected with your glow plugs unless you caught your throttle cable in some way whilst accessing the plugs?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Does your car have the later type fuel filter with the 4 allen screws at the top?

If so, it is possible you've damaged the housing when changing the heater plugs. The plug nearest the filter housing is so close and you may have caught the little white plastic thing down the left side of the filter housing.

Make sure it's clean and dry down there, then try pumping some fuel through using the bulb, watch very closely for any leaks. :?
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

thankyou so much for your replies. We are due home tomorrow our BX needs to take us from Luton to Inverness. Am going to have a good look for fuel and air leaks incase there is somting i can do- ken yes it is the later fuel filter design.. will let you guys know how we go - thank you
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

guys, we managed home fine. Though after each fuel stop when the engine it was cold it was running like a bag of spanners.

Have had everything to bits today, put back in the orignal glow plugs am still getting the same probs - which is

- when running from cold the engine is fighting with the engine mounts
- lumpy runnnig
- excessive white smoke out the exaust
- when throttling nothing happens till about half throttle

So i now put back the new glow plugs. I have tried by passsing the filter, using a gerry can of fuel direct into the fuel pump. That should have proved no issues with water in the fuel filter or leaks back to the tank - it still ran with the same symptoms.

So am now thinking injectors? - dirty fuel?. Have stuffed a whole load of deisel cleaner jollop in the tank and taken it for a spirited run. I have to say the car drives realy well I came home most of the 550 miles last night at 70mph and +

The car still continues to run fine. Am going to see if there is any improvement tomorrow - though i doubt there will be.

The prob with white exessive exaust smoke and violent engine i understand it is due to unused deisel - this i guess could be air in the pump so the desiel cannot be used. I am thinking now maybe the belt has jumped a tooth.

If anyone has any ideas i would be so very greateful

cheers
Nige
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

hey guys... the update is.. all is well no issues at all any more. All i can think it could have been was dodgy fuel / water or air in the fuel / dodgy fuuel connection. Any how the car and starts and drives like new. The only problem i have now is stopping, it seems one set of pads has worn at twice the rate of the other side - maybe a new topic later in the week.

Happy new year to you all, looking forward to more BX chat
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Sounds like you may have a siezing caliper.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

nige wrote:hey guys... the update is.. all is well no issues at all any more. All i can think it could have been was dodgy fuel / water or air in the fuel / dodgy fuuel connection. Any how the car and starts and drives like new. The only problem i have now is stopping, it seems one set of pads has worn at twice the rate of the other side - maybe a new topic later in the week.

Happy new year to you all, looking forward to more BX chat
A Shot in the dark guess.The driver's side?
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

yes... drivers side... *intrigued*!