Thermostat replacement

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Thermostat replacement

Post by Dollywobbler »

Where's the best place to get a thermostat from for my BX? I thought Halfords were taking the proverbial at £16 but my dreams of getting one for less than a tenner seem somewhat distant at the moment. What are they made of?!

Also, any tricks to avoiding a seizing bolt disaster?

Must get around to fitting a temp gauge - I would probably have cottoned on to this 'stat failure a lot sooner if I had one!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

£16? :shock:
I assume you have the old style BIG stat?
If so, they used to be £9 from the dealer! That said, I no longer have the old style stat housing, so it's been a while since I bought one.

the bottom left bolt as you look at the housing usually seizes, I used to find that removing all the pipes and heating the bolts till the glowed, then allow to cool did the trick, although I had a couple that required a couple of bursts of heat, and a couple that snapped off even after that.

You'll need some fairly large circlip pliers aswell to remove the stat from the housing.
Good luck!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't like to boast, but I assume it's a big one. Not seen many to compare with to be fair...

Going to try the local motor factors next. Not sure we've got a Citroen dealer in town.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I am sure i had to fit a small thermostat to my L reg diesel last year. Normal sized bigun was far too big.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just been out to the garage to see if i could find the one i bought that was no good to me, if i find it you are more than welcome to it.
However, i did find the box of the one i fitted and the one i removed from the motor. It was made by 'Flusser' No N17610. The one i look out was working fine as i tested it in hot water, you are more than welcome to this if it helps, just changed cos i was replacing the rad.
The old thermostat measured 55mm by 55mm or thereabouts as ive only a cheap old ruler to measure it with. Hope this helps. Ile have a good look for the other one tomorrow for you.

If you want a piccy, pm me.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Grenman. Local motor factor can get one in for £11 plus the dreaded, cheaper than Halfords and better still, not Halfords!

Must admit, I'm worried about snapping the bolts as I've spent the past two days slowly mullering my 2CVs engine. IR FAIL. Can't really afford to have two cars out of action - leaves me with a 15mpg Land Rover!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Good luck with it.

Mine came out 'simples' and with no bother at all. I reccon i was lucky. It had been done before as there was some sort of liquid gasket on it which i had to carefully scrape off.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Housing's off without any bother. Getting the stat out is a little tricky as I don't have big circlip pliers. Going to see if I can get a local garage to carry out that bit otherwise it's another trip into town (in something fuel guzzling as everything else is broken) to buy a pair of pliers I'll probably never use again.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Have you got a set of needle nosed pliers? At a pinch you can grind the ends to a small enough point to fit into the circlips - I've done this in the early hours of the morning, when I needed the car the next day and didn't have any circlip pliers. A new set of pliers at a later date would probably be cheaper than a trip out in the Landy, if you have no luck with the local garage.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

a seal pick and small flat blade srewdriver will prise it out.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Never realised it was supposed to be difficult to get the thermostat out. Just pulled the fekker out with my fingers, job done.

Andy
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

This worries me too, only time I've ever changed a thermostat was in a Golf and it was just two bolts and slip it out. Damn you Citroen!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Went to a local garage who fitted it to the housing for "a contribution to the drink fund." I like that sort of currency. Did try needle-nosed pliers, but that clip was bloomin' well stuck on one side. Even created sparks...

Housing now back in place but I've been forced to stop after knocking the bit off the throttle thing that attaches via cable to the thermostat (I'd removed it so I could take the entire housing to the garage). Um, what does that do?! It's pitch black here now, so no hope of finding it. Got delayed by the pain in the ar5e that was removing the old gasket. Well stuck!

Really narked with how much faff this is. Did a thermostat change on the Landy on Tuesday and it took about five minutes! Even an Alfa Romeo 164 V6 is easier than this (albeit you have to replace the entire housing which costs £40...)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Grenman wrote:Never realised it was supposed to be difficult to get the thermostat out. Just pulled the fekker out with my fingers, job done.
The later ones are a lot less bother - there's nothing actually holding the 'stat in place apart from the hose stub housing, and those bolts seem a lot less prone to seizing.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, what is the thing linked to the throttle that goes to the 'stat that I've lost then?