more pictures of green stuff

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Connected to the pump there are normally 2 pipes - big fat one is the low pressure 'incoming' from the reservoir and the skinny one like a brake pipe is the high pressure output.

If it's leaking from the high pressure pipe where it's connected to the pump then it's more likely to be a cracked pipe than a fault with the seal - 'nipping up' will only have any good effect if that union is very very loose because it's the pressure forcing against the seal that makes it seal so well.

If the pipe is starting to crack here then nipping up may break it anyway - this pipe should be fitted with 'P' clips to clamp it and stop the vibration from the diesel engine putting stress on that union by vibrating the pipe - it seems that some mechanics replace this pipe and don't bother replacing the P clips which means the pipe will tend to break again (I still need to fit them on mine :oops: )

When this pipe breaks at the union it will dump most of your LHM on the road within a couple of miles and it can easily spray it onto the exhaust pipe - it's a petrochemical oil so it is flammable (though I got away with it when mine went).

Let's hope it's a return pipe - best to find out as soon as you can just in case it's the HP pipe. Good luck.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

electrokid wrote:If it's leaking from the high pressure pipe where it's connected to the pump then it's more likely to be a cracked pipe than a fault with the seal - 'nipping up' will only have any good effect if that union is very very loose because it's the pressure forcing against the seal that makes it seal so well.

If the pipe is starting to crack here then nipping up may break it anyway - this pipe should be fitted with 'P' clips to clamp it and stop the vibration from the diesel engine putting stress on that union by vibrating the pipe - it seems that some mechanics replace this pipe and don't bother replacing the P clips which means the pipe will tend to break again
That's true. Another way to unnecessarily crack this valuable pipe is to have a loose fastening of the HP pump. If the lower fastening of the pump can move even a little bit - but the upper fastening of the pump is tight, you might not notice anything (belt won't necessarily slip), but it will cause fatigue in the pipe and eventually crack it. (Don't ask how I know that. :oops: )
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

That's a valuable tip - thanks rmattila :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate