dash mounted engine temp gauge

BX Tech talk
johnbird
BXpert

dash mounted engine temp gauge

Post by johnbird »

Is there an accepted method of doing this please? I have a number of gauges in my garage And a couple of saab top hose temp senders which fit in the hose neatly. How hard can it be to rig a couple of wires to the cabin? Any good places to fit one. Pod mount by the digital clock or saw a larger hole where the fag lighter is look most obvious. Is there a digital gauge or display people have used? Never been a big fan of the warning light system, its generally too late by then.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Tidiest method is fit a proper BX guage!
Although they are not always easy to find now..

Aftermarket guages tend to be more accurate anyway! Fitting on a pod to the right of the instrument binnacle is a usual spot I find, although before I put the 16valve clocks in the diesel I did use a temp guage that I mounted next to the digiclock in the tray.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

Hi, do you have a picture of the way you mounted an aftermarket gauge? Wasn't aware there was a bx one available. No one gone digital in these eighties icons? Would be good to see some pics. I have single, double,apillar mounts and various gauges in the garage. Quite like the idea of a digital readout? Accuracy not the issue really its monitoring a rise I want. So long as the temp is stable its ok.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Umm, surely that's what the existing temp warning light does: so long as the temp is stable, the light stays off, when it rises too far, the light comes on.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

it seems i may have upset you a bit chap judging by the replies to my questions you have been sharing with me.
i didnt ask if you thought it was a good idea to get a red light before the head gasket went i asked if anyone knew or had fitted a temp gauge to warn of the rise in temp so i can take remedial action before the head gasket goes.
if thats too complicated for you i can draw pictures.now get off my back.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I would not be happy with the lights. A gauge is more useful as you get familiar with it's readings at various operating conditions so you can spot problems before they get significant- as the man says.

Best plan is to get a BX meter, they fit in the instrument panel properly and that saves space for another gadget should you want one.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

in a truck you get lots of gauges for lots of purposes.it is a familiar thing to scan them as i would check my mirrors regularly.
when one is not reading where it generally is its subconsciously apparent almost immediately.
it seems an unecessary risk to let the temp rise into a danger zone before taking action?
where does the standard bx gauge live in the dash please?
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

John - there are a couple of useful links ...

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/tempgauge/

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/cooling/cooling.php

I did the latter and am very pleased to be able to see a stable needle sitting at 90'.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I got a really nice temp guage & its fitted to the right of the pod next to the a pillar, no idea how it was fitted as i got it done at a garage, its in my tzd. i could possibly take a piccy or 2 at the weekend & see how its connected up under the hood as well?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

those links are superb,thankyou for that.the grommet will be behind the glove box as the car was set up for lhd i presume. lets hope theres no false bulkhead! i will have a good look for the bolt blanking the water way. looks simple enough.job for a weekend i think,thanks again for the link,john.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

mr mulley that would be useful,thanks.i have a couple of a pillar mounts.the site for the temp sender is generally the trickiest part of the job.
when we were kids we used to put all sorts of gauges into our old cars,was a good lesson on car electrics. the pictures of the gti dash show an oil presure gauge too which would be smart. just fitted an old chrome dial smiths mechanical one into a custom made mount built into a centre console in the 99. nice gear lever! Image
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

temp gauge

Post by bill o »

my temp gauge is fitted into the coin tray.by removing the coin holder and keeping the front and base the panel can be drilled to take electric temp gauge.I first did it on my tzd and have now transfered it to my 1.9 diesel tgd..
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

now that is a great idea,exactly what i have been seeking.buy a second coin holder and everything can be put back to standard with no difficulty at all.its not like you can get many coins in it anyway!
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Seeing as my coin holder is broken and the ashtray can't be opened, I have been planning for some time to rip out that middle row and fit a custom panel with a gauge or two. Kermit's got the sort of thing I'm after in the (somewhat battered) Green Hornet.
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

sheet aluminium is great for making a custom panel.1 mm thick ish.i got an old sign years ago and still chipping away at it. wet and dry then solvol auto sol on a polishing wheel makes a good polished finish or cover it in vinyl like the 99 mount. its very forgiving.
from my old c900
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd