16v cambelt path..

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

16v cambelt path..

Post by themildbunch »

Hi

Just found a video from the summer when I had a little bit of time to mess about with my very long term valver project -

If you look at the video linked below, the belt seems to be moving slightly on the right tensioner - is this just the belt edge not made perfectly straight or something else I should be worrying about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0w8kvYsUmI

Quick history is: belt snapped back in around 2004 - I replaced all the valves / head machined etc.. put back together very slowly and with a little paranoia as I'd never done engine work like that.. I replaced the water pump and both tensioners - got it running again but then it got forgotten about until recently...

thanks
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i heard a noise which sounded like a tensioner or belt squeeking,

unless thats clutch thrust bearing noise,

so how long ago were the tensioners fitted and have they got damp, and maybe surface rust internaly,

or it the belt to tight/slack,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

well... I've just check my old invoices

The car has been garaged since the belt snapped and the new cambelt, tensioners, etc have been on there since 2003 ! :oops:
I set the tension using the 45 degree turn both ways on the longest run method as I don't have a tension gauge. I remember all pins sliding in easily after turning the engine over twice

the car's only driven about a couple of miles since then but been started and run every few months..

time for a new belt anyway I think and maybe the tensioners have deteriorated or lost tension since then - I should check this..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate