What's inside the rear cylinder boot?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

What's inside the rear cylinder boot?

Post by toddao »

I wanted to replace the rear cylinder boot today so I was sliding off the old degraded rubber and a strange seal/ring/thing fell out from the cylinder end. It seems that it was sat on the end of the cylinder and is made of some sort of woven fibre a bit like the material that car sound insulation is made of.
When I was refitting the rod complete with its new boot I realised that it's impossible to seat this ring/thing so it stays in place.
Does anyone know what this thing is, what it does and whether I need it?

Cheers!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

yep its a piston wipper/felt and it fits on the protruding end of it,

i think the step on the inside kneck of the boot keeps it in place once fitted,

usualy there is about 3/8th's of an innch of piston showing at the boot end of the cylinder,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, so it actually does have a purpose! And that's what it is - felt. Sometimes I can't find the right word. Thanks Malcolm.

Still can't quite see how to hold it in place while I'm sliding the new boot on, the cylinder isn't protruding at all. If I remove the sphere can I push it through a bit?
Todd

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if the piston is not protruding from the boot end of the cylinder (suspension unit body),

i would think you could start the car and allow the system to pump up a little, as it is necersery to fit the felt wipper over the end of the piston that is as long as you have the push rod fully attatched to the trailling arm,

to only other way to get the piston out enough would be to remove the sphere and push it out with a hammer handle,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I pushed the cylinder out with my finger from the sphere side and slipped the felt 'thing' on the end then the rubber boot . Job done. No need to make this a sticky - I reckon it will be 2022 before someone has this query again! Thanks Malcolm.
Todd