Front suspension arms : bushes and bearings.

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Front suspension arms : bushes and bearings.

Post by toddao »

I need to replace the front arm bushes and I was reading in The Haynes:

' If the pivot bushes in the suspension arm are worn and in need of replacement then it is also probable that the pivot bearings in the subframe are in need of renewal'

I can't find anything in 'The Technical archives' re this, in fact no reference at all to these 'pivot bearings' - nothing on The Service Citroen website and nothing available from my usual parts service here in Germany.

I know the Mk.1s had a different set-up with the front wishbone but mine is a late one from 1986.

Can anyone illuminate/help with this. It's like an info black-hole at the moment.

Thankyou.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I took the comment about "pivot bearings in the subframe" as only being applicable to the mk1 which had bearings. I thought it was all rubber in the mk2. steve
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

As above, mk1's bearings, mk2's bushes.

So i dont think yours has bearings.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Although if a mark2 has been run with the through shaft slack you can have wear on the shaft and in the subframe holes through which it passes.

Pretty rare because they make a hell of a clatter but I have seen this happen. Gibbo.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well mine is a Mk.1 but I found a post where Malcolm said only the very early Mk.1s had these subframe bearings. When I said mine was 'late' - I meant a late Mk.1. But how do I find out what mine has?
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Found this which seems to answer my question.
Heaven knows where you would find these subframe bearings if you needed them?

P.S I just read the supplement section in The Haynes and it says the old subframe bearings were discontinued in Sept. 85. My break - which I'm fixing right now - being March 86 then is thankfully Ok but my TRD is August 85 but still in good order in that department thankfully.
Todd

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Todd, i believe i've got these particular front bearing kits (skf one's) (just incase i got a mk1), if you come over to blighty, pm me & i'll show you the kit so that you can possibly get it made up for future use. I don't really want to sell any, just incase i need them myself.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Todd, I wouldn't imagine the bearings will be hard to get hold of, I would think the bearings were just a generic bearing and available from any bearing supplier with a choice of manufacturer.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:Heaven knows where you would find these subframe bearings if you needed them?
The SKF code is VKDA 13003 if that is any help? I bid on a set from UK Ebay which were incorrectly listed as rear arm bearings - only realised when I looked at the picture. :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I think that will be the part no. for the complete kit if required.

http://www.skf.com/files/240489.pdf
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, that's what I meant but didn't make it very clear.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the easyest way to tell if you have bearing in your front sub frame/arm pivot points, is were the bolt enter's and exits the sub frame if no bearing it is conned of, were if it has bearings it is straight right to the ends were the bolt goes through the sub frame,

also im prety sure the bearings if you require them are the same as the rear arm's, but the seals are completly diferent,

another also
cars with bearing at the front do still have the bushes in the arm as well

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

toddao wrote:Well mine is a Mk.1 but I found a post where Malcolm said only the very early Mk.1s had these subframe bearings. When I said mine was 'late' - I meant a late Mk.1. But how do I find out what mine has?
Todd,
That's easy if you can measure the spindle dia. (14mm or 16mm) also the A/F size for the spindle nuts are different, so if you have a MK2 BX to compare it with that would be quite a simple check (If I can find a spare early MK1 spindle with a nut in my spares/stock) I can PM the A/F nut size for you.
mat_fenwick wrote:
toddao wrote:Heaven knows where you would find these subframe bearings if you needed them?
The SKF code is VKDA 13003 if that is any help? I bid on a set from UK Ebay which were incorrectly listed as rear arm bearings - only realised when I looked at the picture. :oops:
The following quotes are from Mat's BX BLOG !
mat_fenwick wrote:They're for the front arms, this SKF catalogue shows it...
A shame I didn't look at the photo more closely before bidding, but as they are not as described I should be able to retract my bid. Unless I keep them as a spare, but I could get a set of arms complete with wishbones for not much more!
mat_fenwick wrote:I've sorted it out with the seller and she was very apologetic - they've now been relisted as front kits hereso looks like a genuine mistake....
RxBX wrote: Hi Mat,
Maybe you should inform them (The Lady) that the 'VKDA13003' as stated in the SKF catologue states that that kit is only suitable for BX's manufactured from:- 09.82 —> 09.85 !

Therefore this kit is only suitable for the early MK1's which had the tapered roller bearing's (as can also be seen in the E-Bay listing photo) which was fitted into the sub-frame mount/housing's and which also had the smaller 14mm dia. spindles, so this kit will be no use to anyone even with a late MK1 which had the revised sub-frame/mounting with the larger 16mm dia. spindles as was fitted to all MK2 BX's.
E-Bay Seller wrote: FRONT WISHBONE PIN KITS
MADE BY SKF PT NO....VKDA13003
TO FIT ALL Citroën BX MODELS ......1982-->93
If you need/want to check it out, it's all in the BOL ('Haynes' Chapter 13 Supplement pages 396/397) which was printed with proper paper rather than the revised BOL which was printed with re-cycled loo paper !
Todd, I hope you clicked on the 'here' in the second /\ quote which shows the E-BAY listing with a photo of the MK1's which used bearing in the front sub-frame's, also as Malcolm posts states that the actual bearing are the same as those used in the rear radius arms is 100% correct !

If you (or anyone else) prefers to source these bearings as an individual part/item, the identification part number is JL22349F in a 'TIMKEN' brand !

I hope this maybe of help !

:D

RxBX
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks everyone. The black hole of knowledge is transformed into enlightenment!

I will start on my front arm bushes today so I'm sure they'll be further questions for the 'panel of experts!' :D
Todd

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

A couple of pictures on the topic: http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... tukivarsi/

After changing the bushes, remember to first take the car off the jacks and set it to normal driving position, and only after that do the final tightening of the 24 mm nut. Otherwise the bushes will be under constant strain and wear out quickly.

-Riku
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.