Front suspension arms : bushes and bearings.

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Riku, I see you've got a slide-hammer or similar for removing the arm spindle. I unfortunately don't - anyone got any bright ideas what I could do instead?
(what's that last pic in the serious - with what looks like an air-conditioner and some brown water?)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

The spindle is often quite tight. I usually take the front nut off, then put a couple of spacers in between and get the spindle moving by putting the nut back and tightening it against the spacers (figure). If there's no slide-hammer available, I guess it woud be possible to use this method to pull the entire spindle out by putting more and more stuff between the nut and the front bush?

As to the last picture of the set, it's an old dishwasher that was going to recycling. Somehow I got the idea to use it to clean the tools by switching the heater element off, pouring in diesel fuel and letting it run for a while. Worked OK, but was nonetheless a one-time experiment. :lol:
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

What are the symptoms, then, of worn front arm bushes? Is it a matter of levering things around and feeling play - or just looking at them - or is it creaks/groans from the front?
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

sdelasal wrote:What are the symptoms, then, of worn front arm bushes? Is it a matter of levering things around and feeling play - or just looking at them - or is it creaks/groans from the front?
They check it at MOT, and I'm usually hassling around and double-checking things by myself (for some reason they have at least so far allowed this interference). You can feel the play in the (usually front) bush by holding a hand on the spindle while they shake the front wheel.

It is also the probable reason for inaccurate or wandering steering, if the ball joints have been replaced and things still don't feel as they should in the front.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Good luck with the bearing change Todd.

I may soon be joining you in Mk1 ownership! I've been talking with Danny at Wolsey House Motors about a Red Mk1 they have there at the moment. I asked him about the front bearings and he said they were the same as the CX (rear?, may have been front) bearings, so no prob.

Something old, something french, something simple.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I got the right hand side arm off today. The rear 24mm spindle nut was tight and its not possible to get a socket onto it so I had to use a spanner. Problem was that the other end of the 24mm spanner is 26mm and wouldn't fit into my faithful piece of scaffolding breaker bar. So I spent ages sniffing around the barn til I found some flat oblong section galvanised steel cable duct.
It was too long at approx three metres so I cut a metre off and about an hour later applied the new breaker bar. Ahhhh, the joys of leverage.. off she came.

The drop links looked like ancient relics from the Mary Rose and I know the done thing is just to cut the rusty fu€k$ off but I was able to apply my new broken stud extractor to hold the thing tight so the nut could turn and off it came. It is total cactus, makes a lovely clanking noise so farewell..

Then I set fire to the old arm bushes as advised by our glorious leader of the (BX) revolution - Jonkw - and they produced acrid black smoke and a right old stink. Luckily the fire brigade who are well keen in our mostly old wooden town didn't arrive and the old bushes actually melted and fell to pieces.

Progress is slow but at least it's progress!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read