Aftermarket clear fuel pipe & Vulcan blood

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Aftermarket clear fuel pipe & Vulcan blood

Post by Linegeist »

A thought here ..........................

I've had a piece of clear plastic fuel pipe left over from a job on one of my motorbikes, sitting experimentally in a jar of LHM now since November, and I pulled it out this morning for a shufti. As suspected, it's unaffected by its immersion.

Now, given that this stuff can be easily heat-sculpted (that is to say, its diameter can be altered with nothing more than a hot air gun) fitted tightly over existing pipe ends and generally used to replace all kinds of non-high-pressure piping in the BX system, is there any reason why we need to use perishable rubber for, say, rotten strut return pipes?

In fact, given its cheapness, is there any reason why this clear tubing can't be used to replace fuel lines as well? Not only does the stuff seem impervious to any chemical found in a car, it also lets you see what's in the pipe - like air bubbles.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Bob,

That tube sounds like it's made for the BX and other Citroen's using LHM.

I have used silicone tube in the past where subject to movement, with no degrading in contact with LHM.

So, please tell us more, diameters available, spec etc..
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi,

I'd be interested for project GS too.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I'm afraid it's nothing special - it's just some stuff I bought from the local bling shop in the town-ette when I was giving the Skorpion its winter service and found the tank to carb pipe was a bit flaky.

I bought a metre of the stuff for, IIRC, £1.80 - but as far as I can tell, it's just common or garden clear fuel pipe. I suppose, logically, if it withstands modern petrol, with its cocktail of ethanol and additives (and which is eating some plastic motorcycle fuel tanks apparently) then LHM will be a pushover for it.

It just seemed to me to be an obvious extension, especially from those annoying little rubber leak-back pipes that are bent double and which fail at the rear of the outer edge of the front subframe. The one I replaced at the beginning of December is functioning just fine...................
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Bob Wrote:
especially from those annoying little rubber leak-back pipes that are bent double and which fail at the rear of the outer edge of the front subframe.

That must be the one from the safety valve then, that's now silicone on both my BX's.

I have in the past purchased short lengths of tube, and immersed in LHM for weeks, but have found they either get hard, or expand to some degree. Although are usable as a temporary measure.